Training + Temp Work = Stepping Stone? – Evaluating an Innovative Activation Program for Disadvantaged Youths
AbstractWhile high rates of youth unemployment are a severe problem in most European countries, the program evaluation literature shows that disadvantaged youths constitute a group that is particularly difficult to assist effectively. As innovative measures are thus needed, we evaluate a German pilot program that targets low-skilled young unemployed and combines three components: a) individual coaching, b) classroom training and c) temporary work. Using an ex-post quasi-randomization approach, our analysis shows that the program has a positive impact on the post-program employment probability of participants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen in its series Ruhr Economic Papers with number 0249.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J08 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General - - - Labor Economics Policies
- J68 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Public Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-18 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Göbel & E. Verhofstadt, 2008.
"Is temporary employment a stepping stone for unemployed school leavers?,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
08/542, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Verhofstadt, Elsy & Goebel, Christian, 2008. "Is Temporary Employment a Stepping Stone for Unemployed School Leavers?," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-093, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- David Card & Jochen Kluve & Andrea Weber, 2010.
"Active Labour Market Policy Evaluations: A Meta-Analysis,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(548), pages F452-F477, November.
- David Card & Jochen Kluve & Andrea Weber, 2009. "Active Labor Market Policy Evaluations – A Meta-analysis," Ruhr Economic Papers 0086, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- David Card & Jochen Kluve & Andrea Weber, 2009. "Active Labor Market Policy Evaluations: A Meta-analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 2570, CESifo Group Munich.
- David Card & Jochen Kluve & Andrea Weber, 2010. "Active Labor Market Policy Evaluations: A Meta-Analysis," NBER Working Papers 16173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David E. Card & Jochen Kluve & Andrea Weber, 2009. "Active Labor Market Policy Evaluations: A Meta-analysis," NRN working papers 2009-02, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Card, David & Kluve, Jochen & Weber, Andrea, 2009. "Active Labor Market Policy Evaluations: A Meta-Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 4002, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Centeno, Luis & Centeno, Mário & Novo, Álvaro A., 2009.
"Evaluating job-search programs for old and young individuals: Heterogeneous impact on unemployment duration,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 12-25, January.
- Luis Centeno & Mário Centeno & Álvaro A. Novo, 2008. "Evaluating Job Search Programs for Old and Young Individuals: Heterogeneous Impact on Unemployment Duration," Working Papers w200806, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Jensen, Peter & Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, 2003. "The response of youth unemployment to benefits, incentives, and sanctions," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 301-316, June.
- Michael Kvasnicka, 2008.
"Does Temporary Help Work Provide a Stepping Stone to Regular Employment?,"
NBER Working Papers
13843, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Kvasnicka, 2009. "Does Temporary Help Work Provide a Stepping Stone to Regular Employment?," NBER Chapters, in: Studies of Labor Market Intermediation, pages 335-372 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dorsett, Richard, 2006. "The new deal for young people: effect on the labour market status of young men," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 405-422, June.
- Kluve, Jochen, 2010. "The effectiveness of European active labor market programs," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 904-918, December.
- Wolff, Joachim & Nivorozhkin, Anton, 2012. "Give them a break! Did activation of young welfare recipients overshoot in Germany? (A regression discontinuity analysis)," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62046, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.