Metropolitan House Prices In Regions of India: Do They Converge?
AbstractThe paper examines the long-run behavior of house prices by addressing the issue of price convergence or divergence across fifteen metropolitan cities in India. Using available city-level quarterly data covering the period 2007-2011 and applying the Im, Pesaran and Shin (2003) panel unit root test, it is found that relative price levels among various metropolitan cities in India do not converge. This implies that the Law of One Price does not hold in the Indian housing market, hence the different metropolitan house markets operate independent to one another.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 13 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D40 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - General
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Axel Dreher & Tim Krieger, 2005.
"Do gasoline prices converge in a unified Europe with non-harmonized tax rates?,"
KOF Working papers
05-114, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Axel Dreher & Tim Krieger, 2004. "Do gasoline prices converge in a unified Europe with non- harmonized tax rates?," International Finance 0411005, EconWPA.
- Dreher, Axel & Krieger, Tim, 2004. "Do gasoline prices converge in a unified Europe with non-harmonized tax rates?," Arbeitspapiere der Nordakademie 2004-04, Nordakademie - Hochschule der Wirtschaft.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Steve Cook, 2012. "Î²-convergence and the Cyclical Dynamics of UK Regional House Prices," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 49(1), pages 203-218, January.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Rangan Gupta & Sonali Das, 2008.
"Spatial Bayesian Methods of Forecasting House Prices in Six Metropolitan Areas of South Africa,"
200813, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Rangan Gupta & Sonali Das, 2008. "Spatial Bayesian Methods Of Forecasting House Prices In Six Metropolitan Areas Of South Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 76(2), pages 298-313, 06.
- Goetzmann, William Nelson, 1993.
"The Single Family Home in the Investment Portfolio,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 201-22, May.
- Goetzmann, W.N., 1990. "The Single Family Home In The Investment Portfolio," Papers fb-_90-15, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Mark J. Holmes & Theodore Panagiotidis & Jesus Otero, 2011.
"Investigating Regional House Price Convergence in the United States: Evidence from a pair-wise approach,"
Discussion Paper Series
2011_12, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Jun 2011.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Otero, Jesús & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2011. "Investigating regional house price convergence in the United States: Evidence from a pair-wise approach," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 2369-2376.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesús Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2011. "Investigating Regional House Price Convergence in the United States: Evidence from a Pair-Wise Approach," Working Paper Series 29_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Ahmed, M., 2005. "Purchasing Power Parity Based on Capital Account, Exchange Rate Volatility and Cointegration: Evidence from Some Developing Countries," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 5(3).
- Escobari, Diego, 2011.
"Testing for Stochastic and Beta-convergence in Latin American Countries,"
36741, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- ESCOBARI, Diego, 2011. "Testing for Stochastic and Beta-convergence in Latin American Countries," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 11(2).
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2010.
"Unit Roots and Structural Change: An Application to US House-Price Indices,"
1004, University of Nevada, Las Vegas , Department of Economics.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2010. "Unit Roots and Structural Change: An Application to US House-Price Indices," Working papers 2010-04, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2010.
- Smith, Lawrence B & Rosen, Kenneth T & Fallis, George, 1988. "Recent Developments in Economic Models of Housing Markets," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(1), pages 29-64, March.
- KHOKHAR, Joga Singh, 2010. "Will India’S Trade Deficit Ever Converge To Zero?- An Application Of Bounds Testing Approach To Co-Integration," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 10(1).
- Kris IYER, 2011. "Technology Gap, Catching-up and Outward Orientation: Analysis of 63 countries," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 11(2).
- Chien-Chiang Lee & Mei-Se Chien, 2011. "Empirical Modelling of Regional House Prices and the Ripple Effect," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 48(10), pages 2029-2047, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.