La performance opérationnelle à long terme des entreprises françaises émettrices d’obligations convertibles
Abstract(VF)Dans le présent article nous analysons la performance opérationnelle à long terme des émetteurs d’obligations convertibles (OC) en France. Nos résultats mettent en évidence une sous-performance opérationnelle significative à long terme après l’émission et ce, indépendamment des étalons, indicateurs de mesure de per-formance ou modèles que nous avons utilisés. Cette conclusion, concordante avec les résultats obtenus sur le marché américain, est une des explications potentielles de la sous-performance boursière récemment mise en relief chez les émetteurs d’OC français. Par ailleurs, l’analyse en coupe transversale de nos résultats montre que cette sous-performance doit être relativisée par certaines caractéristiques propres à l’émetteur et à l’émission.(VA)The purpose of this paper is to analyze the long-run operating performance of French convertible bond (CB) issuers. Our results reveal that firms issuing convertible bonds underperform substantially non-issuing firms after the issue. Our findings are robust with respect to the various benchmarks and operating performance measures used. This post-offering downturn in earnings confirms findings of previous studies undertaken in the US market and is consistent with the poor long-term post-issue stock price performance recently reported on the French CB market. However, a cross sectional analysis of our results suggests that this underperformance is tempered by specific issuer and issue features.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by revues.org in its journal Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie.
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.revues.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stein, Jeremy C., 1992.
"Convertible bonds as backdoor equity financing,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 3-21, August.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eugene F Fama, .
"Market Efficiency, Long-Term Returns, and Behavioral Finance,"
CRSP working papers
448, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1998. "Market efficiency, long-term returns, and behavioral finance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 283-306, September.
- Eugene F. Fama, . "Market Efficiency, Long-term Returns, and Behavioral Finance," CRSP working papers 340, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Spiess, D. Katherine & Affleck-Graves, John, 1999. "The long-run performance of stock returns following debt offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 45-73, October.
- Barber, Brad M. & Lyon, John D., 1996. "Detecting abnormal operating performance: The empirical power and specification of test statistics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 359-399, July.
- Jun-Koo Kang & Yong-Cheol Kim & Rene M. Stulz, 1996.
"The Underreaction Hypothesis and the New Issue Puzzle: Evidence from Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
5819, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Kim, Yong-Cheol & Stulz, Rene M, 1999. "The Underreaction Hypothesis and the New Issue Puzzle: Evidence from Japan," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(3), pages 519-34.
- Miller, Merton H & Rock, Kevin, 1985. " Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1031-51, September.
- Green, Richard C., 1984. "Investment incentives, debt, and warrants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 115-136, March.
- Gil S. Bae & Jinho Jeong & Huey-Lian Sun & Alex P. Tang, 2002. "Stock Returns and Operating Performance of Securities Issuers," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 25(3), pages 337-352.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Lee, Inmoo & Loughran, Tim, 1998. "Performance following convertible bond issuance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 185-207, June.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Brennan, Michael J & Kraus, Alan, 1987. " Efficient Financing under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(5), pages 1225-43, December.
- Hansen, Robert S & Crutchley, Claire, 1990. "Corporate Earnings and Financings: An Empirical Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 347-71, July.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R, 1997. " The Operating Performance of Firms Conducting Seasoned Equity Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1823-50, December.
- McLaughlin, Robyn M & Safieddine, Assem & Vasudevan, Gopala K, 1998. "The Long-Run Performance of Convertible Debt Issuers," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 21(4), pages 373-88, Winter.
- Robyn McLaughlin & Assem Safieddine & Gopala K. Vasudevan, 1996. "The Operating Performance of Seasoned Equity Issuers: Free Cash Flow and Post-Issue Performance," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 25(4), Winter.
- Philip E. Berger & Eli Ofek & David Yermack, 1996.
"Managerial Entrenchment and Capital Structure Decisions,"
New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires
96-14, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Berger, Philip G & Ofek, Eli & Yermack, David L, 1997. " Managerial Entrenchment and Capital Structure Decisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1411-38, September.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Mayers, David, 1998. "Why firms issue convertible bonds: the matching of financial and real investment options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 83-102, January.
- Stulz, ReneM., 1990. "Managerial discretion and optimal financing policies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 3-27, July.
- Lewis, Craig M. & Rogalski, Richard J. & Seward, James K., 2001. "The long-run performance of firms that issue convertible debt: an empirical analysis of operating characteristics and analyst forecasts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 447-474, December.
- Lewis, Craig M. & Rogalski, Richard J. & Seward, James K., 2003. "Industry conditions, growth opportunities and market reactions to convertible debt financing decisions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 153-181, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gérard Charreaux).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.