The Operating Performance of Seasoned Equity Issuers: Free Cash Flow and Post-Issue Performance
AbstractWe examine changes in operating performance for a large sample of industrial firms conducting seasoned equity offerings (SEOs). Our sample of SEO firms has significant improvements in operating performance prior to the issue. The SEO firms experience a sharp, statistically significant decrease in profitability following the SEO in both industry-adjusted and unadjusted comparisons. We find that the decline in profitability is greater for firms that have higher free cash flow, and that SEO firms that invest in new fixed assets perform better than SEO firms that do not.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 25 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mohamed Faker Klibi & Hamadi Matoussi, 2007. "Gestion Des Resultats Et Performance Comptable Et Boursiere Des Entreprises Émettrices De Nouvelles Actions," Post-Print halshs-00534752, HAL.
- Kabir, M.R. & Roosenboom, P.G.J., 2000.
"Can the Stock Market anticipate Future Operating Performance? Evidence from Equity Rights Issues,"
2000-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kabir, Rezaul & Roosenboom, Peter, 2003. "Can the stock market anticipate future operating performance? Evidence from equity rights issues," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 93-113, January.
- Kabir, R. & Roosenboom, P.G.J., 2002. "Can the stock market anticipate future operating performance? Evidence from equity rights issues," Research Paper ERS-2002-102-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Dbouk, Wassim & Ismail, Ahmad, 2010. "Corporate governance and long run performance of seasoned equity issuers," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(4-5), pages 159-177, December.
- Autore, Don M. & Bray, David E. & Peterson, David R., 2009. "Intended use of proceeds and the long-run performance of seasoned equity issuers," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 358-367, June.
- Huh, Sahn-Wook & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2004. "Order Flow Patterns around Seasoned Equity Offerings and their Implications for Stock Price Movements," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt6nm0966w, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Sarra Elleuch Hamza, 2008. "Les spécificités de la gestion des résultats des entreprises tunisiennes à travers une analyse qualitative," Post-Print halshs-00524887, HAL.
- Siougle, Georgia, 2007. "Accounting information and the valuation of Seasoned Equity Offerings (SEOs)," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 380-395, December.
- Brounen, Dirk & Eichholtz, Piet M.A., 2001. "Capital structure theory: Evidence from European property companies' capital offerings," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13973, Maastricht University.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-François L'Her & Stephan Smith & Jean-Marc Suret, 2007. "Risk, Timing and Overoptimism in Private Placements and Public Offerings," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-27, CIRANO.
- Khalid Elbadraoui & Jean-Jacques Lilti & Bouchra M'Zali, 2008. "La performance opérationnelle à long terme des entreprises françaises émettrices d’obligations convertibles," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 11(3), pages 125-154, September.
- Cai, Jun & Loughran, Tim, 1998. "The performance of Japanese seasoned equity offerings, 1971-1992," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 395-425, November.
- Pukthuanthong, Kuntara & Roll, Richard & Walker, Thomas, 2007. "How employee stock options and executive equity ownership affect long-term IPO operating performance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 695-720, December.
- Lee, Inmoo & Loughran, Tim, 1998. "Performance following convertible bond issuance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 185-207, June.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Stulz, Rene, 2007.
"Fundamentals, Market Timing, and Seasoned Equity Offerings,"
Working Paper Series
2007-13, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Harry DeAngelo & Linda DeAngelo & René M. Stulz, 2007. "Fundamentals, Market Timing, and Seasoned Equity Offerings," NBER Working Papers 13285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chou, De-Wai & Gombola, Michael & Liu, Feng-Ying, 2009. "Long-run underperformance following private equity placements: The role of growth opportunities," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 1113-1128, August.
- Pastor-Llorca, Maria Jesus & Martin-Ugedo, Juan Francisco, 2004. "Long-run performance of Spanish seasoned equity issues with rights," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 191-215.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.