Corporate Earnings and Financings: An Empirical Analysis
AbstractThis article examines the long-term behavior of corporate earnings around three corporate financing events: sales of common stock, convertible bonds, and straight bonds. The article shows that earnings declined for all issuers and that more capital is raised the larger the earnings decline. These findings indicate that external financings are motivated by earnings declines. No evidence is found of a relationship between the size of the subsequent earnings downturn or the amount of capital raised and stock price reactions to the financing announcements. These findings suggest that security sales did not systematically provide new information about either the magnitude of subsequent earnings downturn or the amount of financing. Copyright 1990 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 63 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- DeAngelo, Harry & DeAngelo, Linda & Stulz, Rene, 2007.
"Fundamentals, Market Timing, and Seasoned Equity Offerings,"
Working Paper Series
2007-13, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Harry DeAngelo & Linda DeAngelo & René M. Stulz, 2007. "Fundamentals, Market Timing, and Seasoned Equity Offerings," NBER Working Papers 13285, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Khalid Elbadraoui & Jean-Jacques Lilti & Bouchra M'Zali, 2008. "La performance opérationnelle à long terme des entreprises françaises émettrices d’obligations convertibles," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 11(3), pages 125-154, September.
- Abhyankar, Abhay & Dunning, Alison, 1999. "Wealth effects of convertible bond and convertible preference share issues: An empirical analysis of the UK market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1043-1065, July.
- B[oslash]hren, [Oslash]yvind & Eckbo, B. Espen & Michalsen, Dag, 1997. "Why underwrite rights offerings? Some new evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 223-261, November.
- Ching, Ken M.L. & Firth, Michael & Rui, Oliver M., 2006. "The information content of insider trading around seasoned equity offerings," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 91-117, January.
- Andrikopoulos, Panagiotis, 2009. "Seasoned equity offerings, operating performance and overconfidence: Evidence from the UK," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 189-215.
- Jung, Mookwon & Sullivan, Michael J., 2009. "The signaling effects associated with convertible debt design," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(12), pages 1358-1363, December.
- Elliott, William B. & Prevost, Andrew K. & Rao, Ramesh P., 2009. "The announcement impact of seasoned equity offerings on bondholder wealth," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1472-1480, August.
- Autore, Don M. & Bray, David E. & Peterson, David R., 2009. "Intended use of proceeds and the long-run performance of seasoned equity issuers," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 358-367, June.
- Cai, Jun & Wei, K. C. John, 1997. "The investment and operating performance of Japanese initial public offerings," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 389-417, September.
- Santiago Forte & J. Ignacio Peña, 2003. "Debt Refinancing And Credit Risk," Business Economics Working Papers wb031704, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Linn, Scott C. & Stock, Duane R., 2005. "The impact of junior debt issuance on senior unsecured debt's risk premiums," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1585-1609, June.
- Lewis, Craig M. & Rogalski, Richard J. & Seward, James K., 2001. "The long-run performance of firms that issue convertible debt: an empirical analysis of operating characteristics and analyst forecasts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 447-474, December.
- Lee, Hei Wai, 1997. "Post offering earnings performance of firms that issue seasoned equity: The role of growth opportunities," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 97-114.
- Mohamed Faker Klibi & Hamadi Matoussi, 2007. "Gestion Des Resultats Et Performance Comptable Et Boursiere Des Entreprises Émettrices De Nouvelles Actions," Post-Print halshs-00534752, HAL.
- Lytle, Laurian Casson & Joy, O. Maurice, 1996. "The Stock market impact of social pressure: The South African divestment case," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 507-527.
- Hauser, Shmuel & Kraizberg, Elli & Dahan, Ruth, 2003. "Price behavior and insider trading around seasoned equity offerings: the case of majority-owned firms," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 183-199, March.
- Stein, Jeremy C., 2003.
"Agency, information and corporate investment,"
Handbook of the Economics of Finance,
in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 111-165
- Chang, Shao-Chi & Chen, Sheng-Syan & Liu, Yichen, 2004. "Why firms use convertibles: A further test of the sequential-financing hypothesis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 1163-1183, May.
- Zeidler, Felix & Mietzner, Mark & Schiereck, Dirk, 2012. "Risk dynamics surrounding the issuance of convertible bonds," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 273-290.
- Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2000. "Do firms mislead investors by overstating earnings before seasoned equity offerings?," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 339-371, June.
- Hovakimian, Armen & Hovakimian, Gayane & Tehranian, Hassan, 2004. "Determinants of target capital structure: The case of dual debt and equity issues," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 517-540, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.