Unit Root Test In A Threshold Autoregression: Asymptotic Theory And Residual-Based Block Bootstrap
AbstractThere is a growing literature on unit root testing in threshold autoregressive models. This paper makes two contributions to the literature. First, an asymptotic theory is developed for unit root testing in a threshold autoregression, in which the errors are allowed to be dependent and heterogeneous, and the lagged level of the dependent variable is employed as the threshold variable. The asymptotic distribution of the proposed Wald test is non-standard and depends on nuisance parameters. Second, the consistency of the proposed residual-based block bootstrap is established based on a newly developed asymptotic theory for this bootstrap. It is demonstrated by a set of Monte Carlo simulations that the Wald test exhibits considerable power gains over the ADF test that neglects threshold effects. The law of one price hypothesis is investigated among used car markets in the US
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 24 (2008)
Issue (Month): 06 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Other versions of this item:
- Myunghwan Seo, 2004. "Unit Root Test in a Threshold Autoregression: Asymptotic Theory and Residual-based Block Bootstrap," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 494, Econometric Society.
- Myunghwan Seo, 2005. "Unit Root Test in a Threshold Autoregression: Asymptotic Theory and Residual-based Block Bootstrap," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2005/484, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Efstathios Paparoditis & Dimitris N. Politis, 2003. "Residual-Based Block Bootstrap for Unit Root Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 813-855, 05.
- Yoosoon Chang & Joon Y. Park, 2003. "A Sieve Bootstrap For The Test Of A Unit Root," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 379-400, 07.
- Frédérique Bec & Alain Guay & Emmanuel Guerre, 2002.
"Adaptive Consistent Unit Root Tests Based on Autoregressive Threshold Model,"
2002-46, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bec, Frederique & Guay, Alain & Guerre, Emmanuel, 2008. "Adaptive consistent unit-root tests based on autoregressive threshold model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 94-133, January.
- George Kapetanios & Yongcheol Shin, 2004.
"Unit Root Tests in Three-Regime SETAR Models,"
ESE Discussion Papers
104, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Joon Y. Park & Peter C. B. Phillips, 1999.
"Nonlinear Regressions with Integrated Time Series,"
Working Paper Series
no6, Institute of Economic Research, Seoul National University.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:8:y:1992:i:4:p:489-500 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992. "Convergence to Stochastic Integrals for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 489-500, December.
- Pippenger, Michael K & Goering, Gregory E, 1993. "A Note on the Empirical Power of Unit Root Tests under Threshold Processes," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(4), pages 473-81, November.
- Horvath, Michael T.K. & Watson, Mark W., 1995. "Testing for Cointegration When Some of the Cointegrating Vectors are Prespecified," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 984-1014, October.
- Balke, Nathan S & Fomby, Thomas B, 1997.
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(3), pages 627-45, August.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992. "Threshold cointegration," Research Paper 9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Balke-Fomby threshold cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTZ00010, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Bruce E. Hansen & Mehmet Caner, 1997.
"Threshold Autoregressions with a Unit Root,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
381, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995.
"Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate,"
NBER Working Papers
5346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996. "Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 385-426.
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:5:y:2001:i:4:p:533-76 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lo, Ming Chien & Zivot, Eric, 2001. "Threshold Cointegration And Nonlinear Adjustment To The Law Of One Price," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 533-576, September.
- Park, Joon Y., 2002. "An Invariance Principle For Sieve Bootstrap In Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 469-490, April.
- Thanabalasingam Vinayagathasan, 2013. "Monetary Policy and the Real Economy: A Structural VAR Approach for Sri Lanka," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-13, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Kim, Bong-Han & Min, Hong-Ghi & Moh, Young-Kyu, 2010. "Nonlinear dynamics in exchange rate deviations from the monetary fundamentals: An empirical study," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1167-1177, September.
- Hwan Seo, Myung, 2011.
"Estimation Of Nonlinear Error Correction Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 201-234, April.
- Peter Sephton & Janelle Mann, 2013. "Threshold Cointegration: Model Selection with an Application," Journal of Economics and Econometrics, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels, vol. 56(2), pages 54-77.
- Dilem Yildirim & Ralf Becker & Denise R Osborn, 2009. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests for Nonlinear Threshold Models," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0915, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Moh, Young-Kyu, 2009.
"A Century of Purchasing Power Parity Confirmed: The Role of Nonlinearity,"
17488, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Moh, Young-Kyu, 2010. "A century of purchasing power parity confirmed: The role of nonlinearity," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1398-1405, November.
- Hyeongwoo Kim & Young-Kyu Moh, 2012. "The Yen Real Exchange Rate May Not Be Stationary After All: New Evidence from Non-linear Unit-Root Tests," Auburn Economics Working Paper Series auwp2012-02, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Mann, Janelle M, 2013. "Is there a Global Relationship Across Crude Oil Benchmarks?," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150368, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Niels Haldrup & Robinson Kruse & Timo Teräsvirta & Rasmus T. Varneskov, 2012. "Unit roots, nonlinearities and structural breaks," CREATES Research Papers 2012-14, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.