Tariffs, Quotas, and Voluntary Export Restraints with and without Internationally Mobile Capital
AbstractThis paper presents a general framework for comparing the effects of tariffs, quotas, and voluntary export restraints both with and without international capital mobility. Expressions for the shadow price of foreign exchange and the shadow price of capital under each type of trade restriction are derived, an d it is shown that, although international capital mobility raises the welfare cost of tariff protection, it lowers the welfare cost of quantitative restrictions. In all cases, the effects of exogenous shocks in the presence of quotas are intermediate betwe en those in the presence of tariffs and those in the presence of voluntary export restraints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- de Melo, Jaime & Tarr, David, 1991.
"VERs under imperfect competition and foreign direct investment : a case study of the U.S. - Japan auto VER,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
667, The World Bank.
- de Melo, Jaime & Tarr, David, 1996. "VERs under imperfect competition and foreign direct investment: A case study of the US-Japan auto VER," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 11-33, March.
- de Melo, Jaime & Tarr, David, 1995. "VERs Under Imperfect Competition and Foreign Direct Investment: A Case Study of the US-Japan Auto VER," CEPR Discussion Papers 1173, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J Anderson & J.P. Neary, 1993.
"A New Approach to Evaluating Trade Policy,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0173, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Yu, Eden S. H. & Chi-Chur, Chao, 1996. "Are wholly foreign-owned enterprises better than joint ventures?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 225-237, February.
- Naqvi, Nadeem, 2009. "Structure versus Agency in the Great Deprivation of 21st Century," MPRA Paper 12497, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Devereux, John & Roberts, Bryan, 1997. "Direct Foreign Investment and Welfare in the Transforming Economies: The Case of Central Asia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 297-312, June.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1993.
"Domestic Distortions and International Trade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
786, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, James E & Bannister, Geoffrey J & Neary, J Peter, 1995. "Domestic Distortions and International Trade," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(1), pages 139-57, February.
- Krishna, Pravin & Panagariya, Arvind, 2000. "A unification of second best results in international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 235-257, December.
- Yilmaz, Alper, 1999. "Host Country Welfare Effects Of Foreign Direct Investment (Fdi) And Imports: An Application To The Processed Food Industry," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21585, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S. H., 1995. "The shadow price of foreign exchange in a dual economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 195-202, February.
- Kreickemeier, Udo, 2001. "The shadow price of foreign exchange with minimum wages," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 369-373, September.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S. H., 1998. "Export-share requirements, trade balances and welfare: a two-period analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 217-228, June.
- Beladi, Hamid & Chao, Chi-Chur & Frasca, Ralph, 1999. "Foreign investment and environmental regulations in LDCs," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 191-199, May.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S. H., 1999. "Shadow prices and trade restrictions in a monetary economy," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 755-764.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.