Competition in Retail Electricity Supply
AbstractThis paper presents an analysis and defense of competition in retail electricity supply. It includes some account of its development in the UK over the last dozen years, to the point where all retail price controls have now been removed. The development of this competition illustrates a number of the themes in Israel M. Kirzners writing for example, the nature of competition as a process over time, the entrepreneurial and learning nature of this process, the role of marketing in alerting customers, the role of competition in establishing price and in discovering the services and suppliers that customers prefer, and the advantages of competition over regulation.Cet article propose une analyse et une défense de la concurrence de loffre de détail délectricité. Il comporte quelques résultats de son évolution au Royaume-Uni durant les douze dernières années, jusquau moment où tous les contrôles de prix au détail ont été abolis. Lévolution de cette concurrence illustre quelquesuns des thèmes des écrits dIsrael Kirzner par exemple, la nature de la concurrence en tant que processus à travers le temps, la nature entrepreneuriale et cognitive de ce processus, le rôle du marketing dans linformation des consommateurs, le rôle de la concurrence dans la fixation des prix et dans la découverte des services et des offreurs que les consommateurs préfèrent, et les avantages de la concurrence par rapport la réglementation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Journal des Economistes et des Etudes Humaines.
Volume (Year): 12 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
Other versions of this item:
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- B53 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Current Heterodox Approaches - - - Austrian
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demsetz, Harold, 1969. "Information and Efficiency: Another Viewpoint," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(1), pages 1-22, April.
- SC Littlechild, 2001. "Ludwig Lachmann Memorial Lecture," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 69(4), pages 583-613, December.
- Littlechild, S.C., 2000. "Why We Need Electricity Retailers: A Reply to Joskow on Wholesale Spot Price pass-through," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0008, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Watts, Price C., 2001. "Heresy? The Case Against Deregulation of Electricity Generation," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 19-24, May.
- Goulding, A. J. & Rufin, Carlos & Swinand, Gregory, 1999. "The Role of Vibrant Retail Electricity Markets in Assuring that Wholesale Power Markets Operate Effectively," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 12(10), pages 61-73, December.
- Paul L. Joskow, 2001.
"California's Electricity Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
8442, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Littlechild, Stephen C, 2003. "Wholesale Spot Price Pass-Through," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 61-91, January.
- Richard Green & Tanga McDaniel, 1998.
"Competition in electricity supply: will ‘1998’ Be worth it?,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 19(3), pages 273-293, August.
- Green, Richard & McDaniel, Tanga, 1998. "Competition in Electricity Supply: Will '1998' be Worth it?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1814, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen C. Littlechild, 2001. "Competition And Regulation In The U.K. Electricity Industry (With A Brief Look At California)," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 13(4), pages 21-38.
- Fortin, Pierre & Keil, Manfred & Symons, James, 2001. "The Sources of Unemployment in Canada, 1967-91: Evidence from a Panel of Regions and Demographic Groups," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(1), pages 67-93, January.
- Nils-Henrik M. von der Fehr & Petter Vegard Hansen, 2010.
"Electricity Retailing in Norway,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 25-46.
- Nils-Henrik M. Von Der Fehr & Petter Vegard Hansen, 2009. "Electricity Retailing in Norway," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 4, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Nils-Henrik M. Von Der Fehr & Petter Vegard Hansen, 2009. "Electricity Retailing in Norway," RSCAS Working Papers 2009/04, European University Institute.
- von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik M. & Hansen, Petter Vegard, 2008. "Electricity Retailing in Norway," Memorandum 02/2009, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Galetovic, Alexander & Muñoz, Cristián M., 2011. "Regulated electricity retailing in Chile," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6453-6465, October.
- Defeuilley, Christophe, 2009. "Retail competition in electricity markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 377-386, February.
- Littlechild, S., 2005.
"Competition and contracts in the Nordic Residential Electricity Markets,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0550, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Littlechild, Stephen, 2006. "Competition and contracts in the Nordic residential electricity markets," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 135-147, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.