Trade and Financial Integration in East Asia: Effects on Co-movements
AbstractIn this paper we explore three important areas where deeper trade and financial integration in East Asia can influence: (1) business cycle co-movements in the region, (2) the extent of risk sharing across countries and (3) price co-movements across countries. We find evidence that trade integration enhances co-movements of output but not of consumption across countries. Especially the fact that trade integration does not raise co-movements of consumption as much as that of output is interpreted as trade integration does not improve the extent of risk sharing. Co-movements of price arise most significantly as trade integration deepens, lowering the border effects and allowing better opportunities for resource reallocation across countries. In contrast, financial integration demonstrates much weaker evidence of enhancing co-movements across countries. Deeper financial integration improves price co-movements weakly but does not enhance output or consumption co-movements at all. However, since the current level of financial integration in East Asia is quite low, our evidence is too early to firmly determine the role of financial integration. Copyright 2006 The Authors Journal compilation Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2006 .
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal World Economy.
Volume (Year): 29 (2006)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0378-5920
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Emilio Espino & Julian Kozlowski & Juan M. Sánchez, 2013. "Regionalization vs. globalization," Working Papers 2013-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Anders Johansson, 2010.
"China's financial market integration with the world,"
Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 293-314.
- Johansson, Anders C., 2009. "China'S Financial Market Integration With The World," Working Paper Series 2009-10, China Economic Research Center, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Christian Richter, 2011.
"Trans-Pacific Economic Relations and US-China Business Cycles : Convergence within Asia versus US Economic Leadership,"
Development Economics Working Papers
23244, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hallett, Andrew Hughes & Richter, Christian, 2011. "Trans-Pacific Economic Relations and US-China Business Cycles: Convergence within Asia versus US Economic Leadership," ADBI Working Papers 292, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Christian Richter, 2011. "Trans-Pacific Economic Relations and US-China Business Cycles : Convergence within Asia versus US Economic Leadership," Governance Working Papers 23244, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Jarko, Fidrmuc & Iikka, Korhonen & Ivana, Bátorová, 2011.
"China in the World Economy: Dynamic Correlation Analysis of Business Cycles,"
CEI Working Paper Series
2011-9, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Iikka Korhonen & Ivana Bátorová, 2013. "China in the World Economy: Dynamic Correlation Analysis of Business Cycles," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 59(2), pages 392-411, June.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka & Bátorová, Ivana, 2008. "China in the world economy: Dynamic correlation analysis of business cycles," BOFIT Discussion Papers 7/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Batorova, Ivana, 2008. "China in the World Economy: Dynamic Correlation Analysis of Business Cycles," Working Paper Series RP2008/02, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Hideaki Hirata & M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok, 2013.
"Regionalization vs. Globalization,"
IMF Working Papers
13/19, International Monetary Fund.
- HIRATA Hideaki & Ayhan KOSE & Christopher OTROK, 2013. "Regionalization vs. Globalization," Discussion papers 13004, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Hideaki Hirata & M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok, 2013. "Regionalization vs. Globalization," CAMA Working Papers 2013-09, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Hideaki Hirata & M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok, 2013. "Regionalization vs. Globalization," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1302, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Christian Dreger & Yanqun Zhang, 2011. "The Chinese Impact on GDP Growth and Inflation in the Industrial Countries," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1151, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Jarko Fidrmuc & Iikka Korhonen, 2009.
"The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on Business Cycles in Asian Emerging Economies,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2710, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka, 2010. "The impact of the global financial crisis on business cycles in Asian emerging economies," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 293-303, June.
- Korhonen, Iikka & Fidrmuc , Jarko, 2009. "The impact of the global financial crisis on business cycles in Asian emerging economies," BOFIT Discussion Papers 11/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Andrew Hughes Hallett & Christian Richter, 2009. "Is the US no longer the economy of first resort? Changing economic relationships in the Asia-Pacific region," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 207-234, July.
- Miankhel, Adil Khan & Kalirajan, Kaliappa & Thangavelu, Shandre, 2010. "Integration, decoupling and the global financial crisis: A global perspective," MPRA Paper 22837, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Moneta, Fabio & Rüffer, Rasmus, 2009. "Business cycle synchronisation in East Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-12, January.
- Kwanho Shin, 2008. "Global and Regional Shocks: Challenges to Asian," Working Papers id:1788, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.