Income Mobility in Spain: How Much Is There?
AbstractTraditional cross-sectional research is unable to measure the degree of income mobility in an income distribution. Using longitudinal data and various income stability indices, this paper measures the level of permanent inequality (immobility) in Spain for the period 1985-92. Results indicate that the transitory component of inequality is large and the level of income mobility increases over time while income inequality decreases slightly. More stability is found at the top than at the bottom of the income distribution and the range of the registered movements is rather short. Copyright 2000 by The International Association for Research in Income and Wealth.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Research in Income and Wealth in its journal Review of Income & Wealth.
Volume (Year): 46 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6586
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jarvis, Sarah & Jenkins, Stephen P., 1996. "Changing places: income mobility and poverty dynamics in Britain," ISER Working Paper Series 96-19, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Lillard, Lee A & Willis, Robert J, 1978.
"Dynamic Aspects of Earning Mobility,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 985-1012, September.
- Arulampalam, W. & Robin A. Naylor & Jeremy P. Smith, 2002. "University of Warwick," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 9, Royal Economic Society.
- Gottschald, Peter T, 1982. "Earnings Mobility: Permanent Change or Transitory Fluctuations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(3), pages 450-56, August.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1978. "The Measurement of Mobility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1013-24, September.
- Aaberge, Rolf, et al, 2002.
"Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(4), pages 443-69, December.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Björklund, Anders & Jäntti, Markus & Palme, Mårten & Pedersen, Peder & Smith, Nina & Wennemo, Tom, 1996. "Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 98, Stockholm School of Economics, revised Aug 2002.
- Rolf Aaberge & Anders Björklund & Markus Jäntti & Mårten Palme & Peder J. Pedersen & Nina Smith & Tom Wennemo, 1996. "Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States," Discussion Papers 168, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Jenkins, Stephen P, 1996. "Recent Trends in the UK Income Distribution: What Happened and Why?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 29-46, Spring.
- Richard V. Burkhauser & John G. Poupore, 1997. "A Cross-National Comparison Of Permanent Inequality In The United States And Germany," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(1), pages 10-17, February.
- John Bibby, 1975. "Methods of measuring mobility," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 107-136, June.
- Gustafsson, Bjorn, 1994. "The Degree and Pattern of Income Immobility in Sweden," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(1), pages 67-86, March.
- Shorrocks, Anthony, 1978. "Income inequality and income mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 376-393, December.
- Kuhl, Karol, 2003. "Income mobility, unemployment and GDP," IRISS Working Paper Series 2003-01, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD, revised Oct 2003.
- Andrew M. Jones & Angel López Nicolás, 2004.
"Measurement and explanation of socioeconomic inequality in health with longitudinal data,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(10), pages 1015-1030.
- Andrew M. Jones & Ángel López, 2003. "Measurement and explanation of socioeconomic inequality in health with longitudinal data," Economics Working Papers 711, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Andrew M. Jones & Angel López, 2003. "Measurement and Explanation of Socioeconomic Inequality in Health with Longitudinal Data," Working Papers 35, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Andrew M. Jones & Ángel López, 2003. "Measurement and explanation of socioeconomic inequality in health with longitudinal data," Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics 711, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Nicholas Rohde & Kam Ki Tang & Prasada Rao, 2011. "Income volatility and insecurity in the U.S., Germany and Britain," Discussion Papers Series 434, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Rodrigo Arim & Matías Brum & Andrés Dean & Martín Leites & Gonzalo Salas, 2010.
"Movilidad de ingreso y trampas de pobreza : nueva evidencia para los países del Cono Sur,"
Documentos de Trabajo basados en MonografÃas (students working papers)
10-06, Instituto de Economía - IECON.
- Rodrigo Arim & Matías Brum & Andrés Dean & Martín Leites & Gonzalo Salas, 2013. "Movilidad de ingreso y trampas de pobreza: nueva evidencia para los países del Cono sur," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 28(1), pages 3-38.
- Perez-Mayo, Jesus, 2003. "Measuring deprivation in Spain," IRISS Working Paper Series 2003-09, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Sastre, Mercedes & Ayala, Luis, 2002.
"Europe vs. the United States: is there a trade-off between mobility and inequality?,"
ISER Working Paper Series
2002-26, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Ayala, L. & Sastre, M., 2002. "Europe vs. The United States: Is There a Trade-Off Between Mobility and Inequality?," European Economy Group Working Papers 19, European Economy Group.
- Antonio Cutanda, 2002. "La medición de la desigualdad a través de un modelo de elección intertemporal," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 163(4), pages 93-117, December.
- Ronald Bachmann & Peggy Bechara & Sandra Schaffner, 2012. "Wage Inequality and Wage Mobility in Europe," Ruhr Economic Papers 0386, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Ingrid Woolard & Stephan Klasen, 2005.
"Determinants of Income Mobility and Household Poverty Dynamics in South Africa,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 865-897.
- Woolard, Ingrid & Klasen, Stephan, 2004. "Determinants of Income Mobility and Household Poverty Dynamics in South Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 1030, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Van Kerm, Philippe, 2002. "On the magnitude of income mobility in Germany," IRISS Working Paper Series 2002-03, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Olga Cantó & Carlos Gradín & Coral del Río, 2010.
"Pobreza crónica, transitoria y recurrente en España,"
1003, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Olga Cantó & Carlos Gradín & Coral Del Río, 2012. "Pobreza Crónica, Transitoria Y Recurrente En España," Revista de Economia Aplicada, Universidad de Zaragoza, Departamento de Estructura Economica y Economia Publica, vol. 20(1), pages 69-94, Spring.
- Jesus Perez-Mayo, 2005. "Identifying deprivation profiles in Spain: a new approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 943-955.
- María Gil Izquierdo & Laura de Pablos Escobar & María Martínez Torres, 2010. "Los determinantes socioeconómicos de la demanda de Educación Superior en España y la movilidad educativa intergeneracional," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 193(2), pages 75-108, June.
- Pérez-Mayo, Jesús, 2004. "Consistent poverty dynamics in Spain," IRISS Working Paper Series 2004-09, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Maite Blázquez Cuesta, 2006. "Earnings Mobility and Low-Wage Employment in Spain: The Role of Job Mobility and Contractual Arrangements," LoWER Working Papers wp11, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.