Price volatility, hedging and variable risk premium in the crude oil market
AbstractThe crude oil price exhibits a high degree of volatility which varies significantly over time. Such characteristics imply that the oil market is a promising area for testing volatility models. Testing and predicting volatility using ARCH and GARCH models have grown in the literature. A useful application of the volatility models is in the formulation of hedging strategies. In this paper we compare the optimal hedge ratio for the crude oil using the classical minimum risk approach and use ARCH to incorporate the effect of heteroskedasticity in the residuals on the hedge ratio. In addition, we test for the existence of a variable risk premium in the crude oil market. We find that, assuming rational expectations, there is a non-zero risk premium. We test for the variability of the risk premia and find evidence in its support when we employed a multivariate GARCH model. Copyright 2006 Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries in its journal OPEC Review.
Volume (Year): 30 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/%28ISSN%291753-0237
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roengchai Tansuchat & Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer, 2010.
"Crude Oil Hedging Strategies Using Dynamic Multivariate GARCH,"
Working Papers in Economics
10/03, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Chang, Chia-Lin & McAleer, Michael & Tansuchat, Roengchai, 2011. "Crude oil hedging strategies using dynamic multivariate GARCH," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 912-923, September.
- Tansuchat, R. & Chang, C-L. & McAleer, M.J., 2010. "Crude Oil Hedging Strategies Using Dynamic Multivariate GARCH," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2010-10, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Roengchai Tansuchat & Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer, 2010. "Crude Oil Hedging Strategies Using Dynamic Multivariate GARCH," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-704, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Chia-Lin Chang & Michael McAleer & Roengchai Tansuchat, 2010. "Crude Oil Hedging Strategies Using Dynamic Multivariate GARCH," KIER Working Papers 743, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Chang, Chiao-Yi & Lai, Jing-Yi & Chuang, I-Yuan, 2010. "Futures hedging effectiveness under the segmentation of bear/bull energy markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 442-449, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.