Specialization, Option Demand, and the Pricing of Medical Specialists
AbstractThis paper discusses the supplier power of medical specialists. We argue that a combination of factors, including the structure of health care delivery, reimbursement systems, the presence of option demand, and high consumer switching costs, create circumstances in which medical specialists may be able to exercise significant seller power. We explore the implications of this for the pricing and organization of medical care. Copyright 1996 The Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Economics & Management Strategy.
Volume (Year): 5 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (06)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/research/journals/JEMS/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martin Gaynor & Deborah Haas-Wilson, .
"Change, Consolidation, and Competition in Health Care Markets,"
GSIA Working Papers
1999-E31, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Martin Gaynor & Deborah Haas-Wilson, 1999. "Change, Consolidation, and Competition in Health Care Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(1), pages 141-164, Winter.
- Martin Gaynor & Deborah Haas-Wilson, 1998. "Change, Consolidation, and Competition in Health Care Markets," NBER Working Papers 6701, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gaynor & Deborah Haas-Wilson, 1998. "Change, Consolidation, and Competition in Health Care Markets," HEW 9809001, EconWPA.
- Dunn, Abe, 2010.
"The value of coverage in the medicare advantage insurance market,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 839-855, December.
- Abe Dunn, 2010. "The Value of Coverage in the Medicare Advantage Insurance Market," BEA Working Papers 0061, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Gal-Or, Esther, 1999. "The profitability of vertical mergers between hospitals and physician practices," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 621-652, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.