Indeterminacy with small externalities: The role of non-separable preferences
AbstractIn this paper we consider a Ramsey one-sector model with non-separable homothetic preferences, endogenous labour and productive external effects arising from average capital and labour. We show that indeterminacy cannot arise when there are only capital externalities but that it does when there are only labour external effects. We prove that sunspot fluctuations are fully consistent with small market imperfections and realistic calibrations for the elasticity of capital-labour substitution (including the Cobb-Douglas specification) provided the elasticity of intertemporal substitution in consumption and the elasticity of the labour supply are large enough.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The International Society for Economic Theory in its journal International Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 2 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3-4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1742-7355
Other versions of this item:
- Lloyd-Braga, Teresa & Nourry, Carine & Venditti, Alain, 2006. "Indeterminacy with Small Externalities: The Role of Non-Separable Preferences," CEPR Discussion Papers 5541, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hintermaier, Thomas, 2003. "On the minimum degree of returns to scale in sunspot models of the business cycle," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 400-409, June.
- Pelloni, A. & Waldmann, R., 1997.
"Stability Properties in a Growth Model,"
Economics Working Papers
eco97/11, European University Institute.
- King, Robert G & Plosser, Charles I & Rebelo, Sergio T, 2002.
"Production, Growth and Business Cycles: Technical Appendix,"
Society for Computational Economics, vol. 20(1-2), pages 87-116, October.
- Duffy, John & Papageorgiou, Chris, 2000. " A Cross-Country Empirical Investigation of the Aggregate Production Function Specification," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 87-120, March.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1991.
"Indeterminacy and Increasing Returns,"
91-59, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & PINTUS, Patrick & de VILDER, Robin, 1997.
"Capital-labor substitution and competitive nonlinear endogenous business cycles,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997087, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel & Pintus, Patrick & de Vilder, Robin, 1998. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 14-59, May.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & P, A, Pintus & R, De Vilder, 1997. "Capital-Labor Substitution and Competitive Nonlinear Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Papers 97-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bennett, Rosalind L. & Farmer, Roger E. A., 2000.
"Indeterminacy with Non-separable Utility,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 118-143, July.
- Patrick Pintus, 2006. "Indeterminacy with almost constant returns to scale: capital-labor substitution matters," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 633-649, 08.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1999. "Indeterminacy and sunspots in macroeconomics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 387-448 Elsevier.
- Pintus, Patrick A., 2007.
"Local determinacy with non-separable utility,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 669-682, February.
- Boldrin, Michele & Rustichini, Aldo, 1994.
"Growth and Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models with Externalities,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 323-42, March.
- Michele Boldrin & Aldo Rustichini, 2010. "Growth and Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models with Externalities," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1382, David K. Levine.
- Francesco Busato & Enrico Marchetti, 2009.
"Skills, sunspots and cycles,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 97(3), pages 189-215, July.
- Wong, Tsz-Nga & Yip, Chong K., 2010. "Indeterminacy and the elasticity of substitution in one-sector models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 623-635, April.
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi caballe & Xavier Raurich, 2007.
"Can Consumption Spillovers Be A Source Of Equilibrium Indeterminacy?,"
CAMA Working Papers
2007-13, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Alonso-Carrera, Jaime & Caballé, Jordi & Raurich, Xavier, 2008. "Can consumption spillovers be a source of equilibrium indeterminacy?," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 2883-2902, September.
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi CaballÃ© & Xavier Raurich, 2005. "Can consumption spillovers be a source of equilibrium indeterminacy?," 2005 Meeting Papers 362, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi Caballé & Xavier Raurich, 2005. "Can consumption spillovers be a source of equilibrium indeterminacy?," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 657.05, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Jaime Alonso-Carrera & Jordi Caballe & Xavier Raurich, 2005. "Can consumption spillovers be a source of equilibrium indeterminacy?," Working Papers 154, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Guo, Jang-Ting & Lansing, Kevin J., 2009. "Capital-labor substitution and equilibrium indeterminacy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 1991-2000, December.
- Busato, Francesco & Chiarini, Bruno & Marchetti, Enrico, 2011.
"Indeterminacy, underground activities and tax evasion,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 831-844, May.
- Francesco Busato & Bruno Chiarini & Enrico Marchetti, 2005. "Indeterminacy, Underground Activities and Tax Evasion," Working Papers 289, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Francesco Busato & Bruno Charini & Enrico Marchetti, 2004. "Indeterminacy, Underground Activities and Tax Evasion," Economics Working Papers 2004-12, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Busato, Francesco & Marchetti, Enrico, 2010.
"Endogenous skill cycles,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 175-185, September.
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Venditti, Alain, 2010.
"Indeterminacy and expectation-driven fluctuations with non-separable preferences,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 46-56, July.
- Kazuo Nishimura & Alain Venditti, 2010. "Indeterminacy and expectation-driven uctuations with non-separable preferences," KIER Working Papers 702, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Magris, Francesco, 2012. "Indeterminacy and multiple steady states with sector-specific externalities," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2664-2672.
- Jang-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 2008.
"Capital-Labor Substitution, Equilibrium Indeterminacy, and the Cyclical Behavior of Labor Income,"
200804, University of California at Riverside, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2008.
- Jang-Ting Guo & Kevin J. Lansing, 2008. "Capital-labor substitution, equilibrium indeterminacy, and the cyclical behavior of labor income," Working Paper Series 2008-06, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Stefano Bosi & Francesco Magris & Alain Venditti, 2007. "Sunspot Fluctuations in Two-sector Economies with Heterogeneous Agents," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 311-331, November.
- Been-Lon Chen & Angus Chu, 2010. "On R&D spillovers, multiple equilibria and indeterminacy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 100(3), pages 247-263, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.