Winners and Losers during a Deep Economic Crisis: Firm-level Evidence from Indonesian Manufacturing
AbstractWhat happens to firms during periods of deep economic crisis? Depending on the nature of the crisis, the general effects are well known. However, owing to data availability, there are relatively few detailed firm-level studies. With the aid of an unusually rich database, the present paper investigates the effects of Indonesia's 1997-1998 crisis on manufacturing establishments. Consistent with studies of other crisis episodes, foreign ownership and prior export orientation are found to be highly significant determinants of survival and recovery. The effects of firm size are ambiguous. The industry in which firms are located, in particular its factor proportions, is also found to be significant. Copyright 2007 The Authors Journal compilation 2007 East Asian Economic Association and Blackwell Publishing Ltd. .
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by East Asian Economic Association in its journal Asian Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 21 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1351-3958
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Dionisius Narjoko & Hal Hill, 2006. "Winners and Losers during a Deep Economic Crisis: Firm-level Evidence from Indonesian Manufacturing," Departmental Working Papers 2006-13, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H H Aswicahyono & Hal Hill, 1995. "Determinants of Foreign Ownership in LDC Manufacturing: An Indonesian Case Study," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(1), pages 139-158, March.
- Antonio Spilimbergo & Rupa Duttagupta, 2000.
"What Happened to Asian Exports During the Crisis?,"
IMF Working Papers
00/200, International Monetary Fund.
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Business Cycles and the Relationship Between Concentration and Price-Cost Margins," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 1-17, Spring.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Forbes, Kristin, 2002.
"How Do Large Depreciations Affect Firm Performance?,"
4379-02, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Kristin J Forbes, 2002. "How Do Large Depreciations Affect Firm Performance?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(Special i), pages 214-238.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2002. "How Do Large Depreciations Affect Firm Performance?," NBER Working Papers 9095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investors in Three Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 8084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric Ramstetter, 1999. "Trade Propensities and Foreign Ownership Shares in Indonesian Manufacturing," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 43-66.
- Hadi Soesastro & M. Chatib Basri, 1998.
"Survey of Recent Developments,"
Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1), pages 3-54.
- M. Chatib Basri & Arianto Patunru, 2006. "Survey Of Recent Developments," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(3), pages 295-319.
- Hadi Soesastro & Raymond Atje, 2005. "Survey of recent developments," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 5-34.
- Ratna Sahay & Deepak Mishra & Poonam Gupta, 2003. "Output Response to Currency Crises," IMF Working Papers 03/230, International Monetary Fund.
- Hill,Hal, 2000. "The Indonesian Economy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521663670, December.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & Kristin J. Forbes, 2004. "Financial Constraints and Growth: Multinational and Local Firm Responses to Currency Crises," NBER Working Papers 10545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haryo Aswicahyono, 2000. "How Not to Industrialise? Indonesia's Automotive Industry," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 209-241.
- Theodore H. Moran & Edward M. Graham & Magnus Blomstrom, 2005. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Promote Development?," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 3810.
- Highfield, Richard & Smiley, Robert, 1987. "New business starts and economic activity : An empirical investigation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 51-66, March.
- Arianto Patunru & Christian von Luebke, 2010.
"Survey of recent developments,"
Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(1), pages 7-31.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2002.
"Cheap Labor Meets Costly Capital: The Impact of Devaluations on Commodity Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
9053, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Forbes, Kristin J., 2002. "Cheap labor meets costly capital: the impact of devaluations on commodity firms," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 335-365, December.
- Rotemberg, Julio J & Saloner, Garth, 1986. "A Supergame-Theoretic Model of Price Wars during Booms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 390-407, June.
- Kyoji Fukao, 2001. "How Japanese Subsidiaries in Asia Responded to the Regional Crisis: An Empirical Analysis Based on the MITI Survey," NBER Chapters, in: Regional and Global Capital Flows: Macroeconomic Causes and Consequences, NBER-EASE Volume 10, pages 267-304 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tubagus Feridhanusetyawan & Haryo Aswicahyono & Titik Anas, 2000. "The Economic Crisis and the Manufacturing Industry: The Role of Industrial Networks," CSIS Economics Working Paper Series WPE053, Centre for Strategic and International Studies, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, January.
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala, 2006. "Post-crisis export performance: The Indonesian experience in regional perspective," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 177-211.
- Chris Manning, 2000. "Labour Market Adjustment to Indonesia's Economic Crisis: Context, Trends and Implications," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 105-136.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon & Xu, Lixin Colin, 2000. "Corporate Performance in the East Asian Financial Crisis," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 15(1), pages 23-46, February.
- Reuven Glick & Ramon Moreno & Mark Spiegel, 2001. "Financial crises in emerging markets," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue mar.23.
- FERRAGINA, Anna Maria, 2013. "The Impact of FDI on Firm Survival and Employment: A Comparative Analysis for Turkey and Italy," CELPE Discussion Papers 127, CELPE (Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy), University of Salerno, Italy.
- Guimbert, Stephane & Oostendorp, Remco, 2012. "Weathering the storm : responses by Cambodian firms to the global financial crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6220, The World Bank.
- Haryo Aswicahyono & Hal Hill & Dionisius Narjoko, 2010.
"Industrialisation after a Deep Economic Crisis: Indonesia,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(6), pages 1084-1108.
- Haryo Aswicahyono & Dionisius Narjoko & Hal Hill, 2008. "Industrialization after a Deep Economic Crisis: Indonesia," Departmental Working Papers 2008-18, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Khanna, Gaurav & Newhouse, David & Paci, Pierella, 2011.
"Fewer jobs or smaller paychecks ? aggregate crisis impacts in selected middle-income countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5791, The World Bank.
- Khanna, Gaurav & Newhouse, David & Paci, Pierella, 2011. "Fewer Jobs or Smaller Paychecks? Aggregate Crisis Impacts in Selected Middle-Income Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 5956, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gaurav Khanna & David Newhouse & Pierella Paci, 2010.
"Fewer Jobs or Smaller Paychecks? Labor Market Impacts of the Recent Crisis in Middle-Income Countries,"
World Bank Other Operational Studies
10197, The World Bank.
- Khanna, Gaurav & Newhouse, David & Paci, Pierella, 2010. "Fewer Jobs or Smaller Paychecks? Labor Market Impacts of the Recent Crisis in Middle-Income Countries," World Bank - Economic Premise, The World Bank, issue 11, pages 1-4, April.
- Joachim Wagner & John P. Weche Geluebcke, 2013.
"Risk or Resilience? The Role of Trade Integration and Foreign Ownership for the Survival of German Enterprises during the Crisis 2008-2010,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
288, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Wagner, Joachim & Gelübcke, John P. Weche, 2013. "Risk or Resilience? The Role of Trade Integration and Foreign Ownership for the Survival of German Enterprises during the Crisis 2008-2010," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 340, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Anna Maria Ferragina & Fernanda Mazzotta & Erol Taymaz & Kamil Yilmalz, 2013. "The Impact Of Fdi On Firm Survival And Employment: A Comparative Analysis For Turkey And Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa13p1211, European Regional Science Association.
- Varum, Celeste Amorim & Rocha, Vera Catarina Barros, 2011. "Do foreign and domestic firms behave any different during economic slowdowns?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 48-59, February.
- Aswicahyono, Haryo & Narjok, Dionisius, 2011. "Indonesian Industrialization," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Adalgiso Amendola & Anna Maria Ferragina & Rosanna Pittiglio & Filippo Reganati, 2012. "Are exporters and multinational firms more resilient over a crisis? First evidence for manufacturing enterprises in Italy," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 1914-1926.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.