Modeling and forecasting a firm’s financial statements with a VAR – VECM model
AbstractThis paper reports the development and estimation of a Vector Autoregressive (VAR) econometric model representing the financial statements of a firm. Although the model can be generalized to represent the financial statements of any firm, this work was carried out as a case study, where the chosen company is Petrobras S/A. The methodology comprises correlation analysis, unit root tests, cointegration analysis, VAR modeling, Granger causality tests, in addition to impulse response and variance decomposition methods. Besides the endogenous financial statement variables, an exogenous variable vector was utilized including the Brazilian GDP, domestic and foreign interest rates, the international oil price, the exchange rate, and country risk. The model’s final version is a Vector Error Correction Model (VECM), which takes into account the cointegrating relationships among the endogenous variables. After estimation and validation, the model is used to forecast the firm’s financial statements. Estimates for the exogenous variables and dividend forecasts were also used to estimate the firm’s market value. The results are apparently robust and might contribute to the field of financial planning and forecasting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Fucape Business School in its journal Brazilian Business Review.
Volume (Year): 8 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Fucape Business School Brazilian Business Review Av. Fernando Ferrari, 1358, Boa Vista CEP 29075-505 Vitória-ES
Phone: +55 27 4009-4408
Fax: +55 27 4009-4422
Web page: http://www.bbronline.com.br/
More information through EDIRC
Econometric modeling; financial statements; VAR Model; financial forecasting; Petrobras.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Otavio De Medeiros, 2005. "An Econometric Model of a Firm’s Financial Statements," Finance 0503020, EconWPA.
- Engle, Robert F. & Yoo, Byung Sam, 1987. "Forecasting and testing in co-integrated systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 143-159, May.
- Karen Mumford, 1996. "Strikes and profits: considering an asymmetric information model," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(8), pages 545-548.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1988.
"Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models,"
NBER Working Papers
1885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 785, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Campbell, John & Shiller, Robert, 1987. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," Scholarly Articles 3122490, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Kazuo Ogawa, 2002. "Monetary Transmission and Inventory: Evidence from Japanese Balance-Sheet Data by Firm Size," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 53(4), pages 425-443.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Litterman, Robert B, 1986.
"Forecasting with Bayesian Vector Autoregressions-Five Years of Experience,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 4(1), pages 25-38, January.
- Robert B. Litterman, 1985. "Forecasting with Bayesian vector autoregressions five years of experience," Working Papers 274, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Oxelheim, Lars, 2002. "The Impact of Macroeconomic Variables on Corporate Performance - What Shareholders Ought to Know?," Working Paper Series 571, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 22 Aug 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adriana Gasparino).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.