Production Practice Alternatives For Income And Suitable Field Day Risk Management
AbstractProduction risk includes yield and days suitable for fieldwork variability. Both were modeled using biophysical simulation and a mean-variance, chance-constrained mathematical programming formulation representing a Kentucky corn, soybean, and wheat producer. While crop diversification, planting date, and maturity group can be used to reduce the types of risk considered, interaction between the two influences how production practices are used to manage risk. For the conditions studied, plant population alterations were less effective for risk reduction of either component. The study provides evidence of the importance of the consideration of both elements of production risk in whole farm planning.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (1999)
Issue (Month): 02 (August)
days suitable for fieldwork; mathematical programming; risk management; Crop Production/Industries; Risk and Uncertainty;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grisley, W., 1994. "Farmer-to-farmer transfer of new crop varieties: an empirical analysis on small farms in Uganda," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 43-49, September.
- McCarl, Bruce A. & Bessler, David A., 1989.
"Estimating An Upper Bound On The Pratt Risk A Version Coefficient When The Utility Function Is Unknown,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 33(01), April.
- Bruce A. McCarl & David A. Bessler, 1989. "Estimating An Upper Bound On The Pratt Risk A Version Coefficient When The Utility Function Is Unknown," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 33(1), pages 56-63, 04.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Feder, Gershon, 2007. "Agricultural Extension," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Apland, Jeffrey & Kaiser, Harry M., 1984. "Discrete Stochastic Sequential Programming: A Primer," Staff Papers 13545, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Salim, Juma K. & Dillon, Carl R. & McAllister, Jack, 2006. "Risk management on application of minimum-cost feed ration for nitrogen and phosphorus reduction on dairy farm," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21274, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Larson, James A. & English, Burton C. & He, Lixia, 2008. "Economic Analysis of Farm-Level Supply of Biomass Feedstocks for Energy Production Under Alternative Contract Scenarios and Risk," Transition to a Bio Economy Conferences, Integration of Agricultural and Energy Systems Conference, February 12-13, 2008, Atlanta, Georgia 48706, Farm Foundation.
- Larson, James A. & English, Burton C. & He, Lixia, 2008. "Risk and Return for Bioenergy Crops under Alternative Contracting Arrangements," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6842, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Kanakasabai, Murali & Dillon, Carl R. & Skees, Jerry R., 2001. "Microeconomic Evaluation Of Farm Risk Management Decisions In Kentucky," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36178, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Kanakasabai, Murali & Dillon, Carl R., 2004. "Potential For Farm Adaptation To Global Climatic Change In Kentucky," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20422, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Vassalos, Michael & Dillon, Carl R. & Coolong, Tim, 2012. "Choice of Optimal Planting and Marketing Decisions for Fresh Vegetable Producers: A Mathematical Programming Approach," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 120016, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.