Economic Impacts Of Banning Subtherapeutic Use Of Antibiotics In Swine Production
AbstractPublic health officials and physicians are concerned about possible development of bacterial resistance and potential effects on human health that may be related to the use of antimicrobial agents in livestock feed. The focus of this research is aimed at determining the economic effects that subtherapeutic bans of antimicrobials would have on both swine producers and consumers. The results show that a ban on growth promotants for swine would be costly, totaling $242.5 million annually, with swine producers sharing the larger portion in the short run and consumers sharing the larger portion in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 34 (2002)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
banning subtherapeutic use; feed efficiency; mortality rate; sort loss; Livestock Production/Industries; Q18; D61;
Other versions of this item:
- Brorsen, B. Wade & Lehenbauer, Terry & Ji, Dasheng & Connor, Joseph, 2001. "Economic Impacts Of Banning Subtherapeutic Use Of Antibiotics In Swine Production," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36166, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr., 2001. "Antimicrobial Drug Use And Veterinary Costs In U.S. Livestock Production," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33695, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Shogren, Jason F., 1998. "Do All The Resource Problems In The West Begin In The East?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Jayson L. Lusk & F. Bailey Norwood & J. Ross Pruitt, 2006.
"Consumer Demand for a Ban on Antibiotic Drug Use in Pork Production,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(4), pages 1015-1033.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Norwood, F. Bailey & Pruitt, J. Ross, 2006. "Consumer Demand for a Ban on Antibiotic Drug Use in Pork Production," 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida 35273, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr., 2002. "Economic Effects Of A Ban Against Antimicrobial Drugs Used In U.S. Beef Production," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(03), December.
- Saitone, Tina L. & Sexton, Richard J. & Sumner, Daniel A., 2013. "What Happens When Food Marketers Require Restrictive Farming Practices?," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 151268, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Michael G. Hogberg & Kellie Curry Raper & James F. Oehmke, 2009. "Banning subtherapeutic antibiotics in U.S. swine production: a simulation of impacts on industry structure," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(3), pages 314-330.
- Miller, Gay Y. & Liu, Xuanli & McNamara, Paul E. & Bush, Eric J., 2003. "Producer Incentives For Antibiotic Use In U.S. Pork Production," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21931, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- William D. McBride & Nigel Key & Kenneth H. Mathews, 2008.
"Subtherapeutic Antibiotics and Productivity in U.S. Hog Production,"
Review of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 270-288.
- McBride, William D. & Key, Nigel D. & Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr., 2006. "Sub-therapeutic Antibiotics and Productivity in U.S. Hog Production," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21148, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.