On Modeling Systems Of Crop Acreage Demands
AbstractThis article presents an alternative approach to the specification of systems of crop acreage responses. Derived demands for acreages of individual crops are specified as conditional on total crop acreage, and related separability and dynamic specifications help to reduce the effects of multicollinearity in the system. A simple econometric model of crop acreage demands for Western Canada illustrates the methodology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (1993)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shumway, C. Richard & Alexander, William P. & Talpaz, Hovav, 1990. "Texas Field Crops: Estimation With Curvature," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(01), July.
- Denton, Frank T., 1978. "Single-equation estimators and aggregation restrictions when equations have the same sets of regressors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 173-179, October.
- Asunka, Samuel & Shumway, C. Richard, 1996. "Allocatable Fixed Inputs And Jointness In Agricultural Production: More Implications," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 25(2), October.
- LaFrance, Jeffrey T., 1991. "When Is Expenditure "Exogenous" In Separable Demand Models?," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
- Hausman, Jerry A., 1983. "Specification and estimation of simultaneous equation models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 391-448 Elsevier.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Jorgenson, Dale W., 1979. "Statistical inference for a system of simultaneous, non-linear, implicit equations in the context of instrumental variable estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 11(2-3), pages 275-302.
- Doran, H. E. & Griffiths, W. E., 1978. "Inconsistency of the OLS estimator of the partial adjustment-adaptive expectations model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 133-146, June.
- Russell Lidman & D. Lee Bawden, 1974. "The Impact of Government Programs on Wheat Acreage," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 50(4), pages 327-335.
- Benjamin, Catherine & Gueguen, Chantal & Houee, Magalie, 2003. "World Cereals Markets Under Alternative Common Agricultural Policy Reforms," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25913, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Holt, Matthew T., 1999. "A Linear Approximate Acreage Allocation Model," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Bayou Demeke & Ian Coxhead, 2005. "The Effect of National Policies and Labor Market on Land Use Decisions in Developing Countries: An Application of Maximum Simulated Likelihood to System of Censored Acreages with Panel Data," Others 0503007, EconWPA.
- Haile, Mekbib G. & Kalkuhl, Matthias & von Braun, Joachim, 2013. "Short-term global crop acreage response to international food prices and implications of volatility," Discussion Papers 145308, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Arnade, Carlos A. & Kelch, David R. & Leetmaa, Susan E., 2002. "Supply Response In France, Germany, And The Uk: Technology And Price," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19702, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Haile, Mekbib G. & Kalkuhl, Matthias & Braun, Joachim von, 2013. "Inter-and intra-annual global crop acreage response to prices and price risk," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149695, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Briones, Roehlano M., 2011. "Multimarket Modeling of Agricultural Supply when Crop Land Is a Quasi-fixed Input: A Note," Discussion Papers DP 2011-29, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Haile, Mekbib Gebretsadik & Kalkhul, Matthias, 2013. "Volatility in the international food markets: implications for global agricultural supply and for market and price policy," 53rd Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 25-27, 2013 156097, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Shumway, C. Richard, 1995. "Recent Duality Contributions In Production Economics," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Unterschultz, James R. & Jeffrey, Scott R. & Quagrainie, Kwamena K., 2000. "Value-Adding 20 Billion By 2005: Impact At The Alberta Farm Gate," Project Report Series 24049, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.