Consumer Willingness To Pay For Pesticide-Free Fresh Fruit And Vegetables In Italy
AbstractThe results and analysis of a survey of Italian consumers' willingness to pay (WTP) for pesticide-free fresh fruit and vegetables are presented. A consumer survey regarding WTP for organic produce was conducted in three large grocery stores in Northern Italy. From the collected data, an ordered logit analysis was constructed to identify the impacts of relevant explanatory variables on the probability of consumers' WTP for different price premiums for the produce. The results indicate that WTP is significantly and positively related to income and risk concern and negatively related to education.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA) in its journal International Food and Agribusiness Management Review.
Volume (Year): 03 (2000)
Issue (Month): 03 ()
Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fox, John A. & Shogren, J. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 1995. "Experimental Auctions to Measure Willingness to Pay for Food Safety," Staff General Research Papers 5343, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Tsu-Tan Fu & Jin-Tan Liu & James K. Hammitt, 1999. "Consumer Willingness to Pay for Low-Pesticide Fresh Produce in Taiwan," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 220-233.
- Caswell, Julie A., 1998. "Valuing the benefits and costs of improved food safety and nutrition," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 42(4), December.
- Fox, John A. & Shogren, Jason F. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James B., 1995. "Chapter 06: EXPERIMENTAL AUCTIONS TO MEASURE WILLINGNESS TO PAY FOR FOOD SAFETY," Valuing Food Safety and Nutrition (1995), Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance, number 25986.
- Karen Blumenschein & Magnus Johannesson & Glenn C. Blomquist & Bengt Liljas & Richard M. O’Conor, 1998. "Experimental Results on Expressed Certainty and Hypothetical Bias in Contingent Valuation," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(1), pages 169-177, July.
- Misra, Sukant K. & Huang, Chung L. & Ott, Stephen L., 1991. "Consumer Willingness To Pay For Pesticide-Free Fresh Produce," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- Buzby, Jean C. & Skees, Jerry R. & Ready, Richard C., 1995. "Chapter 12: USING CONTINGENT VALUATION TO VALUE FOOD SAFETY: A CASE STUDY OF GRAPEFRUIT AND PESTICIDE RESIDUES," Valuing Food Safety and Nutrition (1995), Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance, number 25972.
- Cerroni, Simone & Notaro, Sandra & Shaw, W. Douglass, 2013. "How many bad apples are in a bunch? An experimental investigation of perceived pesticide residue risks," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 112-123.
- Jane Hsu & Charlene Shiue, 2008. "Consumers’ Willingness to Pay for Non-pirated Software," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 81(4), pages 715-732, September.
- Shi Zheng & Pei Xu & Zhigang Wang & Shunfeng Song, 2012. "Willingness to pay for traceable pork: evidence from Beijing, China," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(2), pages 200-215, May.
- Owusu, Victor, 2012. "Assessing Consumer Willingness to Pay a Premium for Organic Food Product: Evidence from Ghana," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 123394, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chanita Panmanee & Aree Cheamuangphan & Kasem Kunasri, 2013. "Consumer preferences, willingness to pay and ability to pay for fresh organic vegetables in Chiang Mai province," The Empirical Econometrics and Quantitative Economics Letters, Faculty of Economics, Chiang Mai University, vol. 2(1), pages 29-42, March.
- Quagrainie, Kwamena K., 2006.
"IQF Catfish Retail Pack: A Study of Consumers' Willingness to Pay,"
International Food and Agribusiness Management Review,
International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 9(02).
- Quagrainie, Kwamena K., 2005. "IQF Catfish Retail Pack: A Study of Consumers' Willingness to Pay," 2005 Annual Meeting, February 5-9, 2005, Little Rock, Arkansas 35631, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Cofie, Olufunke & Amoah, Philip & Irene, E. & Adamtey, Noah & Fredrick, T.-L., 2011. "Demonstration on the use of urine in urban agriculture. [Report of the Sustainable Urban Water Management Improves Tomorrow’s City’s Health (SWITCH) Project]," IWMI Research Reports H044301, International Water Management Institute.
- Owusu, Victor & Owusu, Michael Anifori, 2010. "Measuring Market Potential for Fresh Organic Fruit and Vegetable in Ghana," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 95955, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Cranfield, John A.L. & Magnusson, Erik, 2003. "Canadian Consumer's Willingness-To-Pay For Pesticide Free Food Products: An Ordered Probit Analysis," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 6(04).
- Haghiri, Morteza, 2011. "Consumer Perceptions of Environmentally Friendly Products in New Foundland and Labrador," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 42(2), July.
- Eric Giraud-Héraud & Maria Aguiar Fontes & Alexandra Seabra Pinto, 2014. "Crise sanitaires de l'alimentation et analyses comportementales," Working Papers hal-00949126, HAL.
- Dimech, Marco & Caputo, Vincenzina & Canavari, Maurizio, 2011. "Attitudes of Maltese Consumers Towards Quality in Fruit and Vegetables in Relation to Their Food-Related Lifestyles," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 14(4).
- Meroz, Yael & Morone, Andrea & Morone, Piergiuseppe, 2009. "Eliciting environmental preferences of Ghanaians in the laboratory: An incentive-compatible experiment," MPRA Paper 17107, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kuhar, A. & Juvancic, L., 2010. "Determinants of purchasing behaviour for organic and integrated fruits and vegetables in Slovenia," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 11(2), June.
- Anabela Botelho & Isabel Dinis & Lina Sofia Lourenço-Gomes & Jorge Moreira & Lígia M.Costa Pinto, 2014. "Consumers’ valuation of national versus foreign varieties of tomatoes: results of a contingent valuation study in Portugal," NIMA Working Papers 56, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Anabela Botelho & Isabel Dinis & Lina Sofia Lourenço-Gomes & Jorge Moreira & Lígia M.Costa Pinto, 2013. "The importance of the origin of apple varieties: results from a discrete choice experiment in Portugal," NIMA Working Papers 54, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Yeboah, Osei-Agyeman & Goktepe, Ipek & Naanwaab, Cephas & Kyei, Foster Ofori, 2012. "Consumers’ Willingness to Pay for Bacteriophage Technology Treated Fresh Produce," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119733, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Durham, Catherine A., 2007. "The Impact of Environmental and Health Motivations on the Organic Share of Produce Purchases," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(2), October.
- Moser, Riccarda & Raffaelli, Roberta & Thilmany, Dawn D., 2011. "Consumer Preferences for Fruit and Vegetables with Credence-Based Attributes: A Review," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 14(2).
- Owusu, Victor & Owusu Anifori, Michael, 2013. "Consumer Willingness to Pay a Premium for Organic Fruit and Vegetable in Ghana," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 16(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.