Economics of Development and the Development of Economics
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to restore some historical perspective by highlighting the many contributions of development economics to the rest of economics. We will point out to the younger generations how some of the glittering ideas they currently play with originally came from that now-neglected field and how in some cases they have rediscovered, with great fanfare, insights that were well-known in the development literature, familiarity with which would have enriched their own work.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal Journal of Economic Perspectives.
Volume (Year): 7 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (Spring)
Other versions of this item:
- Pranab Bardhan., 1992. "Economics of Development and the Development of Economics," Economics Working Papers 92-196, University of California at Berkeley.
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Naqvi, Syed Nawab Haider, 1996. "The significance of development economics," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 975-987, June.
- Pereira, Luiz C. Bresser (Luiz Carlos Bresser), 2000. "After structuralism, a development alternative for Latin America," Textos para discussÃ£o 99, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Thorbecke, Erik, 2006. "The Evolution of the Development Doctrine, 1950-2005," Working Paper Series RP2006/155, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Thorsten Wichmann, 1995. "Food Consumption and Growth in a Two Sector Economy - A Theoretical Model and Numerical Simulations," Berlecon Research Papers 0001, Berlecon Research.
- Popov, Vladimir, 2010.
"Development theories and development experience: half a century journey,"
28111, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vladimir Popov, 2010. "Development theories and development experience: half a century journey," Working Papers w0153, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.