Romania's development to a low-tax country: Effective corporate tax burden in Romania from 1992 to 2010 and Romania's current ranking among the eastern European member states
We trace back Romania's development to a low-tax country among the Member States of the European Union by analysing the major tax law changes in corporate taxation since 1992. We find that the significant reduction of the corporate income tax rate from 45% in 1992 to 16% since 2005 has not been accompanied by a comprehensive broadening of the corporate income tax base as prevalent in many longstanding Member States of the EU and the OECD. Our analysis is not limited to a comprehensive description of the development of corporate taxation in Romania, but goes on with a numerical analysis of the tax burdens at different periods of time which constitute milestones in the development of corporate taxation in Romania. For this purpose, we apply the European Tax Analyzer, which is a computer-based model firm approach. We find that the average company tax burden of the underlying model company has dropped significantly by almost 65% since 1992. Furthermore, our numerical analysis does not confirm the tax base broadening policy. As a result, Romania holds position two among the group of Central and Eastern European EU Member States.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Loretz, 2008.
"Corporate taxation in the OECD in a wider context,"
0821, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Lars P. Feld & Jost H. Heckemeyer, 2011.
"Fdi And Taxation: A Meta‐Study,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 233-272, 04.
- Feld, Lars P. & Heckemeyer, Jost Henrich, 2008. "FDI and Taxation: A Meta-Study," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-128, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lars P. Feld & Jost Henrich Heckemeyer, 2009. "FDI and Taxation: A Meta-Study," CESifo Working Paper Series 2540, CESifo Group Munich.
- Davis, Steven J. & Henrekson, Magnus, 2004.
"Tax Effects on Work Activity, Industry Mix and Shadow Economy Size: Evidence from Rich-Country Comparisons,"
Ratio Working Papers
57, The Ratio Institute.
- Steven J. Davis & Magnus Henrekson, 2004. "Tax Effects on Work Activity, Industry Mix and Shadow Economy Size: Evidence from Rich-Country Comparisons," NBER Working Papers 10509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J. & Henrekson, Magnus, 2004. "Tax Effects on Work Activity, Industry Mix and Shadow Economy Size: Evidence from Rich-Country Comparisons," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 560, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Finke, Katharina & Heckemeyer, Jost Henrich & Reister, Timo & Spengel, Christoph, 2010.
"Impact of tax rate cut cum base broadening reforms on heterogeneous firms: Learning from the German tax reform 2008,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
10-036, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Finke, Katharina & Heckemeyer, Jost H. & Reister, Timo & Spengel, Christoph, 2011. "Impact of tax rate cut cum base broadening reforms on heterogeneous firms: Learning from the German tax reform 2008," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-036 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Katharina Finke & Jost H. Heckemeyer & Timo Reister & Christoph Spengel, 2010. "Impact of Tax Rate Cut Cum Base Broadening Reforms on Heterogeneous Firms – Learning from the German Tax Reform 2008," Working Papers 1005, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith & Alexander Klemm, 2002. "Corporate income tax reforms and international tax competition," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 449-495, October.
- Flaviu Mihaescu & Liviu Voinea, 2009. "The Impact of the Flat Tax Reform on Inequality: The Case of Romania," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 81, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Michael P. Devereux, 2008. "Business taxation in a globalized world," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 625-638, winter.
- E. Paul Durrenberger, 2005. "Labour," Chapters, in: A Handbook of Economic Anthropology, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:12003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.