The export promoting effect of emigration: Evidence from Denmark
The theoretical claim that ethnic networks encourage trade has found broad empirical support in the literature on migration, business networks and international trade. Ethnic networks matter for the exporting firm, as they exhibit the potential to lower fixed and variable cost of exporting. This paper provides a first attempt to identify the export-promoting effect of emigration on the firm level. Using detailed Danish firm-level data, we can parsimoniously control for export determinants other than emigration, unobserved heterogeneity at the firm level, as well as for self-selection of firms into exporting. Additionally accounting for taste similarity between Denmark and its trade partners, our findings suggest a positive effect of emigration on Danish manufacturing trade within Europe, thereby corroborating preceding studies on aggregate data. Nevertheless, as a novel insight, our analysis reveals that the only beneficiaries of emigration are small enterprises.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cege.wiso.uni-goettingen.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Paap & Frank Kleibergen, 2004.
"Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
195, Econometric Society.
- Kleibergen, Frank & Paap, Richard, 2006. "Generalized reduced rank tests using the singular value decomposition," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 97-126, July.
- Kleibergen, F.R. & Paap, R., 2003. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2003-01, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Frank Kleibergen & Richard Paap, 2003. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-003/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Gabriel Felbermayr & Farid Toubal, 2010.
"Cultural Proximity and Trade,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Toubal, Farid, 2006. "Cultural proximity and trade," Tübinger Diskussionsbeiträge 305, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Toubal, Farid, 2010. "Cultural proximity and trade," Munich Reprints in Economics 20351, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00641280 is not listed on IDEAS
- Volpe Martincus, Christian & Carballo, Jerónimo, 2008. "Is export promotion effective in developing countries? Firm-level evidence on the intensive and the extensive margins of exports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 89-106, September.
- Costas Arkolakis, 2008.
"Market Penetration Costs and the New Consumers Margin in International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
14214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Costas Arkolakis, 2010. "Market Penetration Costs and the New Consumers Margin in International Trade," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 118(6), pages 1151 - 1199.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005.
"The Log of Gravity,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0701, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "The log of gravity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Santos Silva, J.M.C & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005. "The Log of Gravity," CEPR Discussion Papers 5311, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schröder, Philipp J.H. & Jørgensen, Jan G., 2007.
"Fixed Export Cost heterogeneity, Trade and Welfare,"
7397, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jørgensen, Jan G. & Schröder, Philipp J.H., 2008. "Fixed export cost heterogeneity, trade and welfare," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 1256-1274, October.
- Gabriel J Felbermayr & Benjamin Jung & Farid Toubal, 2009.
"Ethnic Networks, Information, and International Trade: Revisiting the Evidence,"
Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre der Universität Hohenheim
306/2009, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Gabriel J. FELBERMAYR & Benjamin JUNG & Farid TOUBAL, 2010. "Ethnic Networks, Information, and International Trade: Revisiting the Evidence," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 97-98, pages 41-70.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Jung, Benjamin & Toubal, Farid, 2009. "Ethnic networks, information, and international trade: Revisiting the evidence," Munich Reprints in Economics 20602, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Gabriel J. Felbermayr & Benjamin Jung & Farid Toubal, 2009. "Ethnic Networks, Information, and International Trade: Revisiting the Evidence," Working Papers 2009-30, CEPII research center.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel J. & Jung, Benjamin, 2009.
"The pro-trade effect of the brain drain: Sorting out confounding factors,"
Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 72-75, August.
- Felbermayr, Gabriel & Jung, Benjamin, 2009. "The pro-trade effect of the brain drain: Sorting out confounding factors," Munich Reprints in Economics 20577, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Mario Larch & Wolfgang Lechthaler, 2011. "Multinational Firms and Labor Market Pooling," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(4), pages 728-749, 09.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Lafourcade, Miren & Mayer, Thierry, 2005. "The trade-creating effects of business and social networks: evidence from France," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 1-29, May.
- Morales, Eduardo & Sheu, Gloria & Zahler, Andrés, 2011. "Gravity and extended gravity: estimating a structural model of export entry," MPRA Paper 30311, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cegedp:126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.