Does Classical Competition Explain the Statistical Features of Firm Growth?
We express the idea of classical competition in a statistical equilibrium model, where the tendency for competition to equalize profit rates results in an exponential power (or Subbotin) distribution. The model supports and extends recent evidence on the Laplace distribution of growth rates in firm size. We also find tent-shaped distributions in the size growth rates of Forbes Global 2000 companies, which we interpret as preliminary evidence in favor of the hypothesis that classical competition is a globally operating mechanism.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0431-880 3282
Fax: 0431-880 3150
Web page: http://www.vwl.uni-kiel.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bottazzi, Giulio & Secchi, Angelo, 2003. "Why are distributions of firm growth rates tent-shaped?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 415-420, September.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:2:p:235-256 is not listed on IDEAS
- F. Pammolli & D. Fu & S. V. Buldyrev & M. Riccaboni & K. Matia & K. Yamasaki & H. E. Stanley, 2007.
"A generalized preferential attachment model for business firms growth rates,"
The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems,
Springer, vol. 57(2), pages 127-130, 05.
- S. V. Buldyrev & F. Pammolli & M. Riccaboni & K. Yamasaki & D.-F. Fu & K. Matia & H. E. Stanley, 2007. "A generalized preferential attachment model for business firms growth rates," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 57(2), pages 131-138, 05.
- Castaldi, Carolina & Milakovic, Mishael, 2007.
"Turnover activity in wealth portfolios,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 537-552, July.
- Bottazzi, Giulio & Dosi, Giovanni & Lippi, Marco & Pammolli, Fabio & Riccaboni, Massimo, 2001.
"Innovation and corporate growth in the evolution of the drug industry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1161-1187, July.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Giovanni Dosi & Marco Lippi & Fabio Pammolli & Massimo Riccaboni, 2001. "Innovation and Corporate Growth in the Evolution of the Drug Industry," LEM Papers Series 2001/02, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Angelo Secchi, 2005.
"Explaining the Distribution of Firms Growth Rates,"
LEM Papers Series
2005/16, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Smith, Adam, 1776. "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number smith1776.
- Gatti, Domenico Delli & Guilmi, Corrado Di & Gaffeo, Edoardo & Giulioni, Gianfranco & Gallegati, Mauro & Palestrini, Antonio, 2005. "A new approach to business fluctuations: heterogeneous interacting agents, scaling laws and financial fragility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 489-512, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cauewp:7022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.