Formal and informal volunteering and health across European countries
In this paper we compare the correlation among formal and informal volunteering and self-perceived health across 14 European countries after controlling for socio-economic characteristics, housing features, neighborhood quality, size of municipality, social participation and regional dummies. we find that formal volunteering has a significantly positive association with self-perceived health in Finland and the Netherlands, but none in the other countries. By contrast, informal volunteering has a significantly positive correlation with self-perceived health in the Netherlands, France, Spain, Portugal and Greece, and a significantly negative relationship in Italy. Our conclusion is that formal and informal volunteering measure two different aspects of volunteering whose correlations with perceived health seem to depend on specific cultural and institutional characteristics of each country.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: HEDG/HERC, Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom|
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/postgrad/herc/hedg/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fiorillo, Damiano, 2014.
"Workers' health and social relations in Italy,"
58784, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fiorillo, D.;, 2013. "Workers' health and social relations in Italy," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 13/32, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Kumar, Santosh & Calvo, Rocio & Avendano, Mauricio & Sivaramakrishnan, Kavita & Berkman, Lisa F., 2012. "Social support, volunteering and health around the world: Cross-national evidence from 139 countries," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 74(5), pages 696-706.
- Lionel Prouteau & François-Charles Wolff, 2004.
"Relational Goods and Associational Participation,"
Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(3), pages 431-463, 09.
- Borgonovi, Francesca, 2008. "Doing well by doing good. The relationship between formal volunteering and self-reported health and happiness," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(11), pages 2321-2334, June.
- Clotfelter, Charles T., 1985. "Federal Tax Policy and Charitable Giving," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226110486.
- Meier, Stephan & Stutzer, Alois, 2004.
"Is Volunteering Rewarding in Itself?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1045, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Damiano Fiorillo & Fabio Sabatini, 2011.
"Structural social capital and health in Italy,"
8_2011, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Fiorillo, Damiano & Sabatini, Fabio, 2011. "Structural social capital and health in Italy," MPRA Paper 32392, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Damiano Fiorillo & Fabio Sabatini, 2014. "Structural social capital and health in Italy," Papers 1408.1671, arXiv.org.
- D. Fiorillo; & F. Sabatini;, 2011. "Structural social capital and health in Italy," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 11/23, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Fiorillo, Damiano & Sabatini, Fabio, 2011. "Structural social capital and health in Italy," MPRA Paper 32367, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bruna Bruno & Damiano Fiorillo, 2014.
"Voluntary work and wages,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 2014/05, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Fiorillo, Damiano & Sabatini, Fabio, 2011. "Quality and quantity: The role of social interactions in self-reported individual health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 73(11), pages 1644-1652.
- Binder, Martin & Freytag, Andreas, 2013. "Volunteering, subjective well-being and public policy," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 97-119.
- Charles T. Clotfelter, 1985. "Federal Tax Policy and Charitable Giving," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number clot85-1, March.
- Lionel Prouteau & Francois-Charles Wolff, 2006.
" Does volunteer work pay off in the labor market ? ,"
- Prouteau, Lionel & Wolff, Francois-Charles, 2006. "Does volunteer work pay off in the labor market?," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 992-1013, December.
- Musick, Marc A. & Wilson, John, 2003. "Volunteering and depression: the role of psychological and social resources in different age groups," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 259-269, January.
- Andreoni, James, 1990. "Impure Altruism and Donations to Public Goods: A Theory of Warm-Glow Giving?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 464-77, June.
- Menchik, Paul L. & Weisbrod, Burton A., 1987. "Volunteer labor supply," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 159-183, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yor:hectdg:14/05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Rawlings)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.