Can Expenditure Cuts Eliminate a Budget Deficit? The Australian Experience
Australia Governments since the late 1970's have attempted to eliminate the fiscal deficit through reductions in expenditure. These efforts have failed. With each successive business cycle the Federal Government's budget outcome has been an ever growing deficit. This paper explains the failure of the government to achieve its balanced budget objective through expenditure reductions. It argues that the impact of these expenditure reductions on the course of the business cycle and the long term development of the economy has actually fed back onto the budget outcome in a negative way. These feedbacks have rendered the instruments for achieving its policy objective self-defeating. The paper explores the compositional changes in government outlays, away from capital to current outlays, that have resulted from this policy objective and which may have a detrimental effect on long run growth.
|Date of creation:||08 Sep 1998|
|Date of revision:||24 Feb 1999|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC; to print on PostScript; pages: 21; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://220.127.116.11|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvie, C. & Kearney, C., 1996. "Public Infrastructure Canpital and Private Investment," Economics Working Papers wp96-2, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Seccareccia, M. & Sharpe, A., 1991. "Canada's Competitiveness: Beyond the Budget Deficit," Working Papers 9111e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1990. "Why has productivity growth declined? Productivity and public investment," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jan, pages 3-22.
- Sharon J. Erenburg, 1993. "The Relationship Between Public and Private Investment," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_85, Levy Economics Institute.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- John F. Henry & L. Randall Wray, 1998.
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_255, Levy Economics Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpma:9809003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.