Harmonization Of Voluntary Disclosure Practices By Japanese Companies
The costs and benefits of harmonization of international accounting and disclosure practices by firms is an important policy issue. This paper investigates the extent to which voluntary disclosure practices by Japanese firms have converged since the collapse of Japan’s financial ‘bubble’ of the late 1980’s. Convergence of voluntary disclosure would suggest that Japanese firms respond to environmental and market pressures by adopting increasingly similar reporting practices. Our findings suggest that, for our sample of Japanese firms, there was neither more, nor less, convergence in selected voluntary disclosure practices over the sample period, although the average level of disclosure did increase. The results suggest that Japanese firms were in “equilibrium” in terms of the scope of information they voluntarily disclosed, although they perceived net benefits in increasing the quantity of disclosed information.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cooke, Terence E. & Wallace, R. S. Olusegun, 1990. "Financial disclosure regulation and its environment: A review and further analysis," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 79-110.
- Mokhtari, Manouchehr & Rassekh, Farhad, 1989. "The Tendency towards Factor Price Equalization among OECD Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 636-42, November.
- Asheq Rahman & Hector Perera & Siva Ganesh, 2002. "Accounting Practice Harmony, Accounting Regulation and Firm Characteristics," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 38(1), pages 46-77.
- Ashbaugh, Hollis, 2001. "Non-US Firms' Accounting Standard Choices," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 129-153.
- Singleton, W. R. & Globerman, Steven, 2002. "The changing nature of financial disclosure in Japan," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 95-111.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpit:0406002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.