Capital Market Effects of the IFRS Adoption for Separate Financial Statements: Evidence from the Italian Stock Market
Using a sample of Italian firms, I investigate whet her separate financial statements are useful to capital market investors and IFRS are more value-relevant than domestic GAAP. I find significant differences in value-relevance between Italian GAAP and IFRS, with IFRS being more informative than Italian GAAP. However, while results are robust for book value, they provide mixed evidence on net income. I also investigate the value-relevance of separate financial statements under IFRS relative to consolidate financial statements and I find that the former are more value-relevant than the latter. Overall, this study provides evidence supporting the choice of adopting IFRS for separate financial statements.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lungo Dora Siena 100, I-10153 Torino|
Phone: +39 011670 4406
Fax: +39 011670 3895
Web page: http://www.unito.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donal Byard & Ying Li & Yong Yu, 2011. "The Effect of Mandatory IFRS Adoption on Financial Analysts’ Information Environment," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 69-96, 03.
- Brown, Stephen & Lo, Kin & Lys, Thomas, 1999. "Use of R2 in accounting research: measuring changes in value relevance over the last four decades," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 83-115, December.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Watts, Ross L., 2001. "The relevance of the value-relevance literature for financial accounting standard setting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 3-75, September.
- Naomi Soderstrom & Kevin Jialin Sun, 2007. "IFRS Adoption and Accounting Quality: A Review," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 675-702.
- Beuselinck, C.A.C. & Joos, P.P.M. & Khurana, I.K. & van der Meulen, S., 2010. "Mandatory IFRS Reporting and Stock Price Informativeness," Discussion Paper 2010-82, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Macías, Marta & Muiño, Flora, 2011. "Examining dual accounting systems in Europe," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 51-78, March.
- Geoffrey Whittington, 2005. "The adoption of International Accounting Standards in the European Union," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 127-153.
- Ester Oliveras & Xavier Puig, 2005.
"The Changing Relationship between Tax and Financial Reporting in Spain,"
Accounting in Europe,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 195-207, January.
- Christopher Nobes & Ester Oliveras & Xavier Puig, 2004. "The changing relationship between tax and financial reporting in Spain," Economics Working Papers 782, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ball, Ray & Kothari, S. P. & Robin, Ashok, 2000. "The effect of international institutional factors on properties of accounting earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-51, February.
- Pascale Delvaille & Gabi Ebbers & Chiara Saccon, 2005. "International Financial Reporting Convergence: Evidence from Three Continental European Countries," Accounting in Europe, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 137-164, January.
- Margaret Lamb & Christopher Nobes & Alan Roberts, 1998. "International Variations in the Connections Between Tax and Financial Reporting," Accounting and Business Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(3), pages 173-188, March.
- Basu, Sudipta, 1997. "The conservatism principle and the asymmetric timeliness of earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 3-37, December.
- Lang, Mark & Smith Raedy, Jana & Wilson, Wendy, 2006. "Earnings management and cross listing: Are reconciled earnings comparable to US earnings?," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 255-283, October.
- Mary E. Barth & Greg Clinch, 2009. "Scale Effects in Capital Markets-Based Accounting Research," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3-4), pages 253-288.
- Barth, Mary E. & Beaver, William H. & Landsman, Wayne R., 2001. "The relevance of the value relevance literature for financial accounting standard setting: another view," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 77-104, September.
- Christensen, Hans B. & Lee, Edward & Walker, Martin, 2007. "Cross-sectional variation in the economic consequences of international accounting harmonization: The case of mandatory IFRS adoption in the UK," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 341-379, December.
- Holger Daske & Luzi Hail & Christian Leuz & Rodrigo Verdi, 2008. "Mandatory IFRS Reporting around the World: Early Evidence on the Economic Consequences," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(5), pages 1085-1142, December.
- Sami, Heibatollah & Zhou, Haiyan, 2004. "A comparison of value relevance of accounting information in different segments of the Chinese stock market," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 403-427.
- Neil Garrod & William Rees, 1998. "International Diversification and Firm Value," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(9-10), pages 1255-1281.
- William P. Rees, 1997. "The Impact of Dividends, Debt and Investment on Valuation Models," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(7&8), pages 1111-1140.
- Oecd, 2007. "Legislation on Lobbying in Europe," OECD Papers, OECD Publishing, vol. 7(7), pages 1-35.
- Collins, Daniel W. & Maydew, Edward L. & Weiss, Ira S., 1997. "Changes in the value-relevance of earnings and book values over the past forty years," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 39-67, December.
- Gjerde, Øystein & Knivsflå, Kjell Henry & Sættem, Frode, 2008. "The Value-Relevance of Adopting IFRS: Evidence from 145 NGAAP Restatements," Discussion Papers 2008/21, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Van der Meulen, Sofie & Gaeremynck, Ann & Willekens, Marleen, 2007. "Attribute differences between U.S. GAAP and IFRS earnings: An exploratory study," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 148-152. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uto:dipeco:201309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Piero Cavaleri)or (Marina Grazioli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.