On the Recent Debate on Capital Theory and General Equilibrium
The paper disputes the negative conclusion of prof. Mandler on the thesis by Garegnani, Schefold, Parrinello that intertemporal general equilibrium theory too is undermined by reswitching and reverse capital deepening. The paper argues that Mandler’s conclusion rests upon highly criticisable assumptions that render the equations of intertemporal general equilibrium identical to those of general equilibria without capital goods. The Walrasian treatment of the capital endowment is criticized in Part I on the basis of its insufficient persistence, and of other ‘methodological’ criticisms that are systematically surveyed. In Part II it is shown through a numerical example that Mandler’s claim, that the assumption of a single consumer guarantees uniqueness of intertemporal equilibrium independently of reswitching or reverse capital deepening, rests on the absence of production of capital goods in the last period of the equilibrium; this assumption is thus revealed to be one of the tricks that prevents the existence of capital goods from changing the properties of the equilibrium relative to those of equilibria without capital
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza S.Francesco,7 - 53100 Siena|
Web page: http://www.deps.unisi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrico Sergio Levrero & Saverio M. Fratini, 2007. "Su Mandler e la Indeterminatezza Sraffiana," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0077, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Quah, John K. -H., 2003. "Market demand and comparative statics when goods are normal," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 317-333, June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:2:y:2008:i:3:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pierangelo Garegnani, 2005. "Capital And Intertemporal Equilibria: A Reply To Mandler ," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 411-437, November.
- Pierangelo Garegnani & Antonella Palumbo, 1997. "Accomulation of capital," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0002, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Michael Mandler, 2005. "Well-Behaved Production Economies," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 477-494, November.
- Saverio M. Fratini, 2008. "Economic Generality Versus Mathematical Genericity: Activity-Level Indeterminacy And The Index Theorem In Constant Returns Production Economies," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 266-275, 05.
- Ennio Bilancini & Fabio Petri, 2008. "A Comment On Gintis's "The Dynamics of General Equilibrium"," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 2(3), pages 1-7.
- Michael Mandler, 2002. "Classical and Neoclassical Indeterminacy in One-shot Versus Ongoing Equilibria," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 203-222, 08.
- Bertram Schefold, 2005. "Reswitching As A Cause Of Instability Of Intertemporal Equilibrium," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 438-476, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usi:wpaper:568. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fabrizio Becatti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.