Importancia de la información contable para el análisis y predicción de la viabilidad de las explotaciones agrícolas
Spanish and Western agriculture show a continuous decrease in the number of farms. One of the main factors for this trend is the economic non-viability of many of the existing farms. In addition, interrelationship of agriculture with other industries is growing. Thus, policymakers, banks, creditors and other stakeholders are interested in predicting farm viability. The aim of this paper is to provide empirical evidence that the use of accounting-based information could significantly improve understanding and prediction of various degrees of farm viability. Two multinomial logit models were applied to a sample of farms of Catalonia, Spain. One model included non-accounting-based variables, while the other also considered accounting-based variables. It was found that accounting added significant information to predict various degrees of farm viability. This finding reveals, both the need of encouraging the little existing use of accounting by farms and to develop appropriate accounting standards for agriculture.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin, Daniel, 1977. "Early warning of bank failure : A logit regression approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 249-276, November.
- J.-C. Kroll, 1987. "Le Nouveau Plan Comptable : les occasions perdues," Économie rurale, Programme National Persée, vol. 180(1), pages 20-25.
- James C. Cox, 1998. "Quantifying the Effects of Sow-Herd Management Information Systems on Farmers' Decision Making Using Experimental Economics," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(4), pages 821-829.
- James J. Wadsworth & Boris E. Bravo-Ureta, 1992. "Financial performance of New England dairy farms," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 47-56.
- Lo, Andrew W., 1986. "Logit versus discriminant analysis : A specification test and application to corporate bankruptcies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 151-178, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:upf:upfgen:612. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.