Science, Technology and Development: Emerging concepts and visions
This paper analyzes the impact of globalization on the allocation of public and private resources for research, knowledge creation and diffusion. We argue that while the concentration of research investments remains in a relatively small number of rich countries and regions, the focus of such activities is increasingly global. From this perspective the international business community is becoming increasingly concerned about the sustainability of its long term growth based on relatively low growth at the high end of the market in comparison to rising demand amongst lower income groups, located primarily in developing countries. Building on this analysis, the paper outlines a vision of innovation for development that could lead to a truly new research programme for innovation studies and the development of successful innovation-for-development strategies.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.merit.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rishab Ghosh & Luc Soete, 2006.
"Information and intellectual property: the global challenges,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 15(6), pages 919-935, December.
- Aiyer Ghosh, Rishab & Soete, Luc, 2006. "Information and intellectual property: The global challenges," MERIT Working Papers 029, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Munawar Iqbal & David T. Llewellyn, 2002. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Islamic Banking and Finance, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Chris Freeman & Luc Soete, 1997. "The Economics of Industrial Innovation, 3rd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 3, volume 1, number 0262061953, June.
- Mowery, David C., 1983. "Industrial Research and Firm Size, Survival, and Growth in American Manufacturing, 1921–1946: An Assessment," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(04), pages 953-980, December.
- Howitt, Peter & Aghion, Philippe, 2006. "Appropriate Growth Policy: A Unifying Framework," Scholarly Articles 4554121, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:unumer:2008001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.