Does a generous welfare state crowd out student effort? Panel data evidence from international student tests
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Falch, Torberg & Fischer, Justina AV, 2008. "Does a generous welfare state crowd out student effort? Panel data evidence from international student tests," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 694, Stockholm School of Economics.
References listed on IDEAS
- Folster, Stefan & Henrekson, Magnus, 2001.
"Growth effects of government expenditure and taxation in rich countries,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(8), pages 1501-1520, August.
- Fölster, Stefan & Henrekson, Magnus, 1998. "Growth Effects of Government Expenditure and Taxation in Rich Countries," Working Paper Series 503, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 20 Jun 2000.
- Fölster, Stefan & Henrekson, Magnus, 2000. "Growth Effects of Government Expenditure and Taxation in Rich Countries," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 391, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Kerwin Kofi Charles & Ming-Ching Luoh, 2003. "Gender Differences in Completed Schooling," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 559-577, August.
- Hogan, Vincent & Walker, Ian, 2007.
"Education choice under uncertainty: Implications for public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 894-912, December.
- Vincent (Vincent Peter) Hogan & Ian Walker, 2006. "Education choice under uncertainty : implications for public policy," Working Papers 200615, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Ludger Woessmann, 2007.
"The Role of School Improvement in Economic Development,"
NBER Working Papers
12832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric A. Hanushek & Ludger Wößmann, 2007. "The Role of School Improvement in Economic Development," CESifo Working Paper Series 1911, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bourdon, Jean & Frölich, Markus & Michaelowa, Katharina, 2007.
"Teacher Shortages, Teacher Contracts and their Impact on Education in Africa,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2844, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bourdon, Jean & Michaelowa, Katharina & Frölich, Markus, 2007. "Teacher shortages, teacher contracts and their impact on education in Africa," HWWI Research Papers 2-10, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Jean Bourdon & Markus Frölich & Katharina Michaelowa, 2007. "Teacher Shortages, Teacher Contracts and their Impacton Education in Africa," Post-Print halshs-00150147, HAL.
- Markus Froelich & Jean Bourdon & Katharina Michaelowa, 2007. "Teacher Shortages, Teacher Contracts and their Impact on Education in Africa," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2007 2007-20, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Kneller, Richard & Bleaney, Michael F. & Gemmell, Norman, 1999. "Fiscal policy and growth: evidence from OECD countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 171-190, November.
- Jerik Hanushek & Dennis Kimko, 2006.
"Schooling, Labor-force Quality, and the Growth of Nations,"
Higher School of Economics, issue 1, pages 154-193.
- Dennis D. Kimko & Eric A. Hanushek, 2000. "Schooling, Labor-Force Quality, and the Growth of Nations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1184-1208, December.
- Agell, Jonas & Ohlsson, Henry & Thoursie, Peter Skogman, 2006.
"Growth effects of government expenditure and taxation in rich countries: A comment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 211-218, January.
- Agell, Jonas & Ohlsson, Henry & Skogman Thoursie, Peter, 2003. "Growth Effects of Government Expenditure and Taxation in Rich Countries: A Comment," Research Papers in Economics 2003:14, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Isaac Ehrlich & Jinyoung Kim, 2007. "Social Security and Demographic Trends: Theory and Evidence from the International Experience," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 10(1), pages 55-77, January.
- Fischer, Justina A.V., 2007. "The Impact of Direct Democracy on Public Education: Evidence for Swiss Students in Reading, Mathematics and Natural Science," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 688, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Hanushek, Eric A. & Luque, Javier A., 2003. "Efficiency and equity in schools around the world," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 481-502, October.
- Glomm, Gerhard & Ravikumar, B, 1992. "Public versus Private Investment in Human Capital Endogenous Growth and Income Inequality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 818-834, August.
- Jacobs, Bas, 2007. "Real options and human capital investment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 913-925, December.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Zhong, Jian-Guo, 1998. "Social Security and the Real Economy: An Inquiry into Some Neglected Issues," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 151-157, May.
More about this item
KeywordsStudent achievement; welfare state; panel data; PISA; TIMSS;
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- I20 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2008-07-20 (Education)
- NEP-HRM-2008-07-20 (Human Capital & Human Resource Management)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:twi:respas:0025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gregor Walter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/twikrch.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.