Periodic Sequences of Arbitrage: A Tale of Four Currencies
This paper investigates arbitrage chains involving four currencies and four foreign ex-change trader-arbitrageurs. In contrast with the three-currency case, we find that arbitrage operations when four currencies are present may appear periodic in nature, and not involve smooth convergence to a "balanced" ensemble of exchange rates in which the law of one price holds. The goal of this article is to understand some interesting features of sequences of arbitrage operations, features which might well be relevant in other contexts in finance and economics.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sir William Duncan Building, 130 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0GE|
Phone: +44 (0)141 548 3842
Fax: +44 (0)141 548 4445
Web page: http://www.strath.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carol L. Osler, 2002.
"Stop-loss orders and price cascades in currency markets,"
150, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Osler, Carol L., 2005. "Stop-loss orders and price cascades in currency markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 219-241, March.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1978. "A Simple Approach to the Valuation of Risky Streams," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 453-75, July.
- Engel, C., 1996.
"Accounting for U.S. Real Exchange Rate Changes,"
Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington
96-02, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Alan M. Taylor, 2000.
"A Century of Purchasing-Power Parity,"
NBER Working Papers
8012, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Wolf, Holger, 2001.
" The Law of One Price--A Case Study,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(4), pages 545-58, December.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995.
"The Limits of Arbitrage,"
NBER Working Papers
5167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer ad Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "The Limits of Arbitrage," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1725, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 1979. "One-Way Arbitrage and Its Implications for the Foreign Exchange Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(2), pages 351-64, April.
- Fisher,Franklin M., 1989. "Disequilibrium Foundations of Equilibrium Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521378567, December.
- Engel, Charles & West, Kenneth D., 2003.
"Exchange rates and fundamentals,"
Working Paper Series
0248, European Central Bank.
- Charles Engel & Kenneth D. West, 2003. "Exchange rates and fundamentals," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Charles Engel & Kenneth D. West, 2005. "Exchange Rates and Fundamentals," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(3), pages 485-517, June.
- Owen A. Lamont & Richard H. Thaler, 2003. "Anomalies: The Law of One Price in Financial Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 191-202, Fall.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Covrig, Vicentiu & Melvin, Michael, 2002. "Asymmetric information and price discovery in the FX market: does Tokyo know more about the yen?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 271-285, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:str:wpaper:1019. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kirsty Hall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.