The Emergence Of Money In Commodity Exchange, Or Money As Monopolist Of The Ability To Buy
Money's emergence in commodity exchange remains a unresolved issue within economic theory. Current general equilibrium models, drawing on Menger, offer an explanation that rests on the economic advantages of a universally accepted means of exchange that is established through â€˜social customâ€™. This is problematic because it does not fully explain moneyâ€™s unique ability to buy, and leaves out of account the social foundations of the customary practices required for moneyâ€™s emergence. An alternative explanation is given here, drawing on Marxâ€™s theory of value but involving a thorough reworking of it. Money is shown to be the monopolist of the ability to buy. 'Social custom' plays a vital role in its emergence, but has determinants that are consistent with the social underpinnings of markets.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Thornhaugh Street, London WC1H OXG|
Web page: http://www.soas.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jones, Robert A, 1976. "The Origin and Development of Media of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 757-75, August.
- Oh, Seonghwan, 1989. "A theory of a generally acceptable medium of exchange and barter," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 101-119, January.
- Niehans, Jurg, 1969. "Money in a Static Theory of Optimal Payment Arrangements," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(4), pages 706-26, November.
- Gerald P. O'Driscoll, Jr., 1986. "Money: Menger's Evolutionary Theory," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 18(4), pages 601-616, Winter.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1989. "On Money as a Medium of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 927-54, August.
- White, Lawrence H, 1984. "Competitive Payments Systems and the Unit of Account," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 699-712, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:soa:wpaper:126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duo QIN)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.