Inflation and Adjustment of Relative Prices in Georgia
The paper focuses on the dynamics of relative prices of goods and services in Georgia in the period of relative macroeconomic stabilization i.e., in years 1996–2001. Structure of Georgian consumer price index (CPI) is described in details and an analysis of the dynamics of relative prices is presented. It is shown that inflation is positively correlated with the variability of relative prices as measured by the standard deviation of the distribution of prices and also with the third moment (skewness) of the overall distribution of prices. Consequently, the efforts to minimize relative price variability should be considered an important part of anti-inflationary policy (the main recommendation for conducting anti-inflationary policy should include frequent increases of administratively regulated prices slightly in excess of overall inflation so that upward adjustments can take place without inducing large price variability). Moreover, based on the examination of basic 8 groups of goods and services and 56 subgroups included into basket used for CPI computation, it is shown that in the period under study the general price level increased mainly due to the increase in prices of goods with administrative regulated prices (except "alcoholic beverages"). In contrary, free market prices for food and beverages (except "fruits and vegetables") and other goods and services (except "personal care and effects") increased much less than the general price level in the country, i.e., relatively decreased.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Aleja Jana Pawla II, 61, 01-031 Warsaw|
Phone: +48 22 206 29 00
Fax: +48 22 206 29 01
Web page: http://www.case-research.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1992.
"Asymmetric Price Adjustment and Economic Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
4089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ball, Laurence & Mankiw, N Gregory, 1994. "Asymmetric Price Adjustment and Economic Fluctuations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 247-61, March.
- Ball, L. & Mankiw, N.G., 1992. "Asymmetric Price Adjustment and Economic Fluctuations," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1602, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1996.
"Why Do People Dislike Inflation?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1115, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Stanley Fischer, 1981. "Relative Shocks, Relative Price Variability, and Inflation," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(2), pages 381-442.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1982. "Relative price variability and inflation in the United States and Germany," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 171-196.
- Hasan Bakhshi & Andrew Haldane & Neal Hatch, 1999.
"Some Costs and Benefits of Price Stability in the United Kingdom,"
in: The Costs and Benefits of Price Stability, pages 133-198
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hasan Bakhshi & Andrew G. Haldane & Neal Hatch, 1998. "Some Costs and Benefits of Price Stability in the United Kingdom," NBER Working Papers 6660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vining, Daniel R, Jr & Elwertowski, Thomas C, 1976. "The Relationship between Relative Prices and the General Price Level," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 699-708, September.
- Domberger, Simon, 1987. "Relative Price Variability and Inflation: A Disaggregated Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 547-66, June.
- Eytan Sheshinski & Yoram Weiss, 1977. "Inflation and Costs of Price Adjustment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(2), pages 287-303.
- Mussa, Michael L, 1977. "The Welfare Cost of Inflation and the Role of Money as a Unit of Account," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 9(2), pages 276-86, May.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1982. "Relative price variability and inflation in the United States and Germany," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 171-196.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sec:ceuwps:0042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Agata Kwiek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.