Local public procurement: how to deal with a creative bidder? A case study from the Netherlands
This paper presents an analysis of the procurement of transportation services for the disabled by the town of Ridderkerk. The method used consisted of a study of the town’s files and interviews with 11 persons involved. The tender specifications were peculiar in that they required bidders to submit a schedule with prices per ride for seven classes ranging from 100,000 to over 600,000, whereas the real number of rides amounted to 270,000. One of the bidders quoted high prices for the first classes and very low prices for the last classes. On the basis of all seven classes, he quoted the lowest costs and won the contract. However, on the basis of the real number of rides he was the second most expensive bidder.
|Date of creation:||06 Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:||27 Oct 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. Obermann & T. Kostal, 2003. "Public Procurement at the Local Level in Austria: The Economic Consequences of Compulsory Competitive Tendering for Public Services," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 74(1), pages 139-162, 03.
- Gunnar Alexandersson & Staffan Hultén, 2006. "Predatory bidding in competitive tenders: A Swedish case study," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 73-94, July.
- Sofia Lundberg, 2005. "Restrictions on Competition in Municipal Competitive Procurement in Sweden," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 11(3), pages 329-342, August.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:11:y:2005:i:3:p:329-342 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gunnar ALEXANDERSSON & Staffan HULTÉN, 2007. "High And Low Bids In Tenders: Strategic Pricing And Other Bidding Behaviour In Public Tenders Of Passenger Railway Services," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(2), pages 161-194, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.