Does Misclassification of Equity Funds Exist? Evidence from Malaysia
Applying the style analysis developed by Sharpe (1988, 1992), this paper investigates the classification of equity funds in Malaysia. A methodology for creating purified mutual fund style indexes is used to verify existing classifications. The paper concludes that an improper classification of funds would not only cause mismatch between investors objectives and funds’ profile, it also affects the process of income smoothing in the lifecycle of investors. Besides estimating the possible economic impact due to misclassification, this study highlights the importance of a proper classification system of equity funds in Malaysian context and its implication towards investor’s protection.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Stephen J. & Goetzmann, William N., 1997.
"Mutual fund styles,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 373-399, March.
- Lehmann, Bruce N & Modest, David M, 1987. " Mutual Fund Performance Evaluation: A Comparison of Benchmarks and Benchmark Comparisons," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 233-65, June.
- de Roon, F.A. & Nijman, T.E. & Ter Horst, J.R., 2000.
"Evaluating Style Analysis,"
2000-64, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Ter Horst, J.R. & Nijman, T.E. & de Roon, F.A., 2004. "Evaluating style analysis," Other publications TiSEM 8a501733-7a06-4399-8a43-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bruce N. Lehmann & David M. Modest, 1985. "Mutual Fund Performance Evaluation: A Comparison of Benchmarks and Benchmark Comparisons," NBER Working Papers 1721, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:2029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.