Does Misclassification of Equity Funds Exist? Evidence from Malaysia
Applying the style analysis developed by Sharpe (1988, 1992), this paper investigates the classification of equity funds in Malaysia. A methodology for creating purified mutual fund style indexes is used to verify existing classifications. The paper concludes that an improper classification of funds would not only cause mismatch between investors objectives and funds’ profile, it also affects the process of income smoothing in the lifecycle of investors. Besides estimating the possible economic impact due to misclassification, this study highlights the importance of a proper classification system of equity funds in Malaysian context and its implication towards investor’s protection.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-465, June.
- Lehmann, Bruce N & Modest, David M, 1987. " Mutual Fund Performance Evaluation: A Comparison of Benchmarks and Benchmark Comparisons," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 233-265, June.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- ter Horst, Jenke R. & Nijman, Theo E. & de Roon, Frans A., 2004.
"Evaluating style analysis,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 29-53, January.
- de Roon, F.A. & Nijman, T.E. & Ter Horst, J.R., 2000. "Evaluating Style Analysis," Discussion Paper 2000-64, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- de Roon, Frans & Nijman, Theo E & ter Horst, Jenke, 2002. "Evaluating Style Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 3181, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Goetzmann, William N., 1997. "Mutual fund styles," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 373-399, March.
- William N. Goetzmann & Stephen J. Brown, 1998. "Mutual Fund Styles," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm40, Yale School of Management.
- repec:mfa:journl:v:5:y:1997:i:2:p:27-44 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Bruce N. Lehmann & David M. Modest, 1985. "Mutual Fund Performance Evaluation: A Comparison of Benchmarks and Benchmark Comparisons," NBER Working Papers 1721, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ter Horst, J.R. & Nijman, T.E. & de Roon, F.A., 2004. "Evaluating style analysis," Other publications TiSEM 8a501733-7a06-4399-8a43-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:2029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.