The empirical saddlepoint likelihood estimator applied to two-step GMM
The empirical saddlepoint likelihood (ESPL) estimator is introduced. The ESPL provides improvement over one-step GMM estimators by including additional terms to automatically reduce higher order bias. The first order sampling properties are shown to be equivalent to efficient two-step GMM. New tests are introduced for hypothesis on the model's parameters. The higher order bias is calculated and situations of practical interest are noted where this bias will be smaller than for currently available estimators. As an application, the ESPL is used to investigate an overidentified moment model. It is shown how the model's parameters can be estimated with both the ESPL and a conditional ESPL (CESPL), conditional on the overidentifying restrictions being satisfied. This application leads to several new tests for overidentifying restrictions. Simulations demonstrate that ESPL and CESPL have smaller bias than currently available one-step GMM estimators. The simulations also show new tests for overidentifying restrictions that have performance comparable to or better than currently available tests. The computations needed to calculate the ESPL estimator are comparable to those needed for a one-step GMM estimator.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:||May 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido W. Imbens, 1997. "One-Step Estimators for Over-Identified Generalized Method of Moments Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(3), pages 359-383.
- Hall, Alastair R., 2004. "Generalized Method of Moments," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198775201, December.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 2006. "The Empirical Saddlepoint Approximation for GMM Estimators," MPRA Paper 3356, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2007.
- Whitney K. Newey & Richard J. Smith, 2004.
"Higher Order Properties of Gmm and Generalized Empirical Likelihood Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 219-255, 01.
- Whitney Newey & Richard Smith, 2003. "Higher order properties of GMM and generalised empirical likelihood estimators," CeMMAP working papers CWP04/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Allan W. Gregory & Jean-Francois Lamarche & Gregor W. Smith, 2001.
"Information-Theoretic Estimation of Preference Parameters: Macroeconomic Applications and Simulation Evidence,"
1249, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Gregory, Allan W. & Lamarche, Jean-Francois & Smith, Gregor W., 2002. "Information-theoretic estimation of preference parameters: macroeconomic applications and simulation evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 213-233, March.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1996. "Optimal Tests for Parameter Instability in the Generalized Method of Moments Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1085-1107, September.
- Jens Jensen & Andrew Wood, 1998. "Large Deviation and Other Results for Minimum Contrast Estimators," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 50(4), pages 673-695, December.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Michael Stutzer, 1997. "An Information-Theoretic Alternative to Generalized Method of Moments Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 861-874, July.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Heaton, John & Yaron, Amir, 1996. "Finite-Sample Properties of Some Alternative GMM Estimators," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(3), pages 262-80, July.
- Susanne M. Schennach, 2007. "Point estimation with exponentially tilted empirical likelihood," Papers 0708.1874, arXiv.org.
- Hall, Peter & Horowitz, Joel L, 1996. "Bootstrap Critical Values for Tests Based on Generalized-Method-of-Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 891-916, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15494. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.