Bank-Lending Standards, the Cost Channel and Inflation Dynamics
If firms borrow working capital to finance production, then nominal interest rates have a direct influence on in inflation dynamics, which appears to be the case empirically. However, interest rates may only partly mirror the cost of working capital. In this paper we explore the role of bank lending standards as a potential additional cost source and evaluate their empirical importance in explaining in ation dynamics in the US and in the euro area.
|Date of creation:||08 Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7205
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7299
Web page: http://www.oenb.at/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Economic Studies Division, c/o Beate Hofbauer-Berlakovich, POB 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ibrahim Chowdhury & Mathias Hoffmann & Andreas Schabert, .
"Inflation Dynamics and the Cost Channel of Monetary Transmission,"
2003_19, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow, revised Oct 2003.
- Chowdhury, Ibrahim & Hoffmann, Mathias & Schabert, Andreas, 2006. "Inflation dynamics and the cost channel of monetary transmission," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 995-1016, May.
- Ibrahim Chowdhury & Mathias Hoffmann & Andreas Schabert, 2004. "Inflation Dynamics And The Cost Channel Of Monetary Transmission," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 80, Royal Economic Society.
- Chowdhury, Ibrahim & Hoffmann, Mathias & Schabert, Andreas, 2004. "Inflation dynamics and the cost channel of monetary transmission," CFR Working Papers 04-01, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Ibrahim Chowdhury & Mathias Hoffmann & Andreas Schabert, 2004. "Inflation Dynamics and the Cost Channel of Monetary Transmission," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 18, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Oliver Hülsewig & Eric Mayer & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2006.
"Bank Behavior and the Cost Channel of Monetary Transmission,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1813, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wollmershäuser, Timo & Mayer, Eric & Hülsewig, Oliver, 2006. "Bank Behavior and the Cost Channel of Monetary Transmission," W.E.P. - Würzburg Economic Papers 71, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Eric Mayer & Oliver HÃ¼lsewig & Timo WollmershÃ¤user, 2007. "Bank Behaviour and the Cost Channel of Monetary Transmission," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 98, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Peter Tillmann, 2007.
"Robust Monetary Policy with the Cost Channel,"
European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015
278, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Lown, Cara & Morgan, Donald P., 2004.
"The Credit Cycle and the Business Cycle: New Findings Using the Loan Officer Opinion Survey,"
SIFR Research Report Series
27, Institute for Financial Research.
- Lown, Cara & Morgan, Donald P., 2006. "The Credit Cycle and the Business Cycle: New Findings Using the Loan Officer Opinion Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(6), pages 1575-1597, September.
- Sylvia Kaufmann & Johann Scharler, 2007.
"Financial Systems and the Cost Channel Transmission of Monetary Policy Shocks,"
116, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Kaufmann, Sylvia & Scharler, Johann, 2009. "Financial systems and the cost channel transmission of monetary policy shocks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 40-46, January.
- Johann Scharler & Sylvia Kaufmann, 2007. "Financial Systems and the Cost Channel Transmission of Monetary Policy Shocks," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 67, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Ravenna, Federico & Walsh, Carl E., 2006. "Optimal monetary policy with the cost channel," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 199-216, March.
- Peter Tillmann, 2009. "Optimal Monetary Policy with an Uncertain Cost Channel," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(5), pages 885-906, 08.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Sylvia Kaufmann & Maria Teresa Valderrama, 2008. "Bank lending in Germany and the UK: are there differences between a bank-based and a market-based country?," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 266-279.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:onb:oenbwp:164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Knell and Helmut Stix)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.