The Nature of Rural Infrastructure:Problems and Prospects
This paper looks at rural infrastructure facilities in India, the lack of which is demonstrated to be an impediment to sustained economic development. We argue that problems of rural infrastructure provision are different from those of the urban, given the smaller size, density and per capita incomes of rural agglomerations. While privatisation is now being considered as the giver of increasing efficiency in the provision of urban infrastructure, this policy recommendation has to be modified in the case of rural infrastructure. Private investors will tend to shun rural areas, especially the ones remote or those that have low incomes or low population density, because of low expected rates of return. Thus, social equity might be endangered. It is necessary, therefore, to have a public–private partnership where subsidies or incentives provided by the government would help to direct private investment towards these disadvantaged areas.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (91-11) 331-7860
Fax: (91-11) 332-7164
Web page: http://www.ncaer.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000. "Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Leonard Waverman, 1996. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CIG Working Papers FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2003.
"An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 443-466, December.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Rathindran, Randeep, 2002. "An assessment of telecommunications reform in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2909, The World Bank.
- Van de Walle, Dominique, 2000.
"Choosing rural road investments to help reduce poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2458, The World Bank.
- van de Walle, Dominique, 2002. "Choosing Rural Road Investments to Help Reduce Poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 575-589, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nca:ncaerw:94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (B.B. Chand)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask B.B. Chand to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.