Fiscal Policy Interdependence and Efficiency
international transmission of fiscal policy among open interdependent economies under free international capital mobility. With only lump-sum taxes and transfers, international transmission involves only pecuniary externalities: barring dynamic inefficiency, only distributional issues (intergenerational and international) are involved. With age-specific taxes and transfers, the ability to run deficits and issue debt does not enhance the choice set of the governments. Source-based taxes on the rentals from capital and residence-based taxes on all property income are also studied.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1990|
|Publication status:||published as Buiter, Willem H. and Kenneth M. Kletzer. "Fiscal Policy Coordination As Fiscal Federalism: Economic Integration, Public Goods And Efficiency In Growing Economies," European Economic Review, 1992, v36(2/3), 647-653.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew B. Abel & N. Gregory Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1989.
"Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 1-19.
- Andrew Abel & Gregory N. Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard Zeckhauser, "undated". "Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 14-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Andrew B. Abel & N. Gregory Mankiw & Lawrence H. Summers & Richard J. Zeckhauser, 1986. "Assessing Dynamic Efficiency: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 2097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tibor Scitovsky, 1954. "Two Concepts of External Economies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 143-143.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1989. "Fiscal deficits and relative prices in a growing world economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 461-484, May.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1988. "Fiscal Deficits and Relative Prices in a Growing World Economy," NBER Working Papers 2725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- anonymous, 1987. "External debt issues," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 50, june. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)