Dynamic Efficiency and Reswitching
The paper argues that, from a dynamic efficiency perspective, intersections of factor price frontiers are irrelevant to the choice of techniques. Because every change in technique involves a temporary loss or gain in both profit and per capita consumption within the transition period, its profitability should be calculated by applying the present value criterion to the entire change process. With only one transition period, there is generally a unique interest rate at which the change in technique breaks even. This critical interest rate is generally the same for a profit maximizing firm as for a central planner who seeks to maximize consumption per unit of work. This critical interest rate does not generally coincide with either of the interest rates at which the factor price frontiers intersect. Therefore, common proofs of the socalled reswitching phenomenon do not stand up well from a dynamic efficiency perspective.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Am Stadtgraben 9, 48143 Münster|
Phone: (02 51) 83-2 29 71
Fax: (02 51) 83-2 29 70
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-muenster.de/insiwo
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flemming, J S & Wright, J F, 1971. "Uniqueness of the Internal Rate of Return: A Generalisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(322), pages 256-63, June.
- Harcourt, G C, 1969.
"Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 7(2), pages 369-405, June.
- Harcourt,G. C., 1972. "Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521096720, Junio.
- Nuti, Domenico M, 1973. "On the Truncation of Production Flows," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3), pages 485-96.
- Hagemann, Harald & Kurz, Heinz D, 1976. "The Return to the Same Truncation Period and Reswitching of Techniques in Neo-Austrian and More General Models," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 678-708.
- Zonghie Han & Bertram Schefold, 2006. "An empirical investigation of paradoxes: reswitching and reverse capital deepening in capital theory," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(5), pages 737-765, September.
- A. Cohen & G. Harcourt., 2009. "Whatever Happened to the Cambridge Capital Theory Controversies?," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 8.
- Arrow, Kenneth J & Levhari, David, 1969. "Uniqueness of the Internal Rate of Return with Variable Life of Investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 79(315), pages 560-66, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:muc:wpaper:200122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Norbert Hiller)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.