Bridging the Reporting Gap: A Proposal for More Informative Reconciling of Book and Tax Income
In this paper we review the history and purpose of the corporation income tax return's Schedule M-1 in light of recent attention to corporate reporting issues. Although the traditional role for the schedule has been to assist the audit process, the reconciliation of book to tax accounting numbers also provides information that is useful to tax analysts. We find the existing tax return Schedule M-1, largely unchanged since its introduction in 1963, provides insufficient detail for complex reconciliation issues. We propose a modified M- 1 to achieve better reconciliation, and discuss the advantages, and disadvantages, of public disclosure of such data
|Date of creation:||14 Mar 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (MIT), SLOAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, 50 MEMORIAL DRIVE CAMBRIDGE MASSACHUSETTS 02142 USA|
Web page: http://mitsloan.mit.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (MIT), SLOAN SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT, 50 MEMORIAL DRIVE CAMBRIDGE MASSACHUSETTS 02142 USA|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John R. Graham & Mark H. Lang & Douglas A. Shackelford, 2004.
"Employee Stock Options, Corporate Taxes, and Debt Policy,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(4), pages 1585-1618, 08.
- John R. Graham & Mark H. Lang & Douglas A. Shackelford, 2002. "Employee Stock Options, Corporate Taxes and Debt Policy," NBER Working Papers 9289, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mihir A. Desai, 2002. "The Corporate Profit Base, Tax Sheltering Activity, and the Changing Nature of Employee Compensation," NBER Working Papers 8866, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Plesko, George A., 2003. "An evaluation of alternative measures of corporate tax rates," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 201-226, June.
- Erickson, Merle & Wang, Shiing-wu, 2000. "The effect of transaction structure on price: Evidence from subsidiary sales," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 59-97, August.
- Lenter, David & Slemrod, Joel & Shackelford, Douglas A., 2003. "Public Disclosure of Corporate Tax Return Information: Accounting, Economics, and Legal Perspectives," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 56(4), pages 803-30, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mit:sloanp:1839. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.