Municipal Infrastructure Delivery in Ethiopia: A bottomless pit or an option to reach the Millennium Development Goals?
The following paper examines the different options to finance local public infrastructure in Ethiopia based on the assumption that the federal government of Ethiopia will not provide any guarantees for local borrowing. Besides a detailed description of the local public finance system and the capital market in Ethiopia, the paper also sets out some international successful practices in municipal infrastructure financing. Based on the observation of the Ethiopian case and the consideration of the international experiences, the paper has two major pillars that very specifically identify actions required for implementation. On the one hand, the paper recommends a number of feasible arrangements to generate a revenue enhancement of the local authorities in the existing intergovernmental framework. On the other hand, the paper suggests a solution - for creditworthy as well as for potentially creditworthy urban local governments (ULG) - to finance their future demand of public infrastructure together with the national finance institutions as well as the international donors.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Werner & Anwar Shah, 2006. "Financing of Education: Some Experiences from ten European Countries," Working Papers 02-2006, Institute of Local Public Finance.
- Jan Werner & Anwar Shah, 2005. "Equalisation and Local Taxation in Denmark, Norway and Sweden," Working Papers 02-2005, Institute of Local Public Finance.
- Paul Bernd Spahn & Jan Werner, 2007. "Germany at the Junction Between Solidarity and Subsidiarity," Chapters, in: Fiscal Fragmentation in Decentralized Countries, chapter 4 Edward Elgar.
- Benno Torgler & Jan Werner, 2005. "Tax Morale and Fiscal Autonomy: Evidence from Germany," Working Papers 03-2005, Institute of Local Public Finance.
- Spahn, Paul Bernd, 1995. "Local Taxation: Principles and Scope," MPRA Paper 13111, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lpf:wpaper:01-2007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Jan Wernder)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.