Local Public Goods, Debt and Migration
Migration raises a potential free rider problem for th eprovision of durable local goods if the late-comers can enjoy the public good without paying for it. Allowing communities to finance public goods by debt mitigates this problem, since future immigrants have to share the burden of the debt. However, in equilibrium there will be over-accumulation of local debt. There may be more or less public good than in first best, but conditional on the inefficiently high level of debt there will be too few public goods. A competitive market for land reduces but does not in general eliminate the inefficiencies.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark|
Phone: (+45) 3532 4411
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk/epru/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wildasin, David E., 1987. "Theoretical analysis of local public economics," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: E. S. Mills (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 29, pages 1131-1178 Elsevier.
- Bucovetsky, Sam & Wilson, John Douglas, 1991. "Tax competition with two tax instruments," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 333-350, November.
- Epple, Dennis & Romer, Thomas, 1991. "Mobility and Redistribution," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 828-858, August.
- Jensen, Richard & Toma, Eugenia Froedge, 1991. "Debt in a model of tax competition," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 371-392, November.
- Schultz, Christian & Sjostrom, Tomas, 2001.
"Local public goods, debt and migration,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 313-337, May.
- Christian Schultz & Tomas Sjöström, "undated". "Local Public Goods, Debt and Migration," EPRU Working Paper Series 00-11, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Schultz, C. & Sjostrom, T., 2000. "Local Public Goods, Debt and Migration," Papers 6-00-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Konishi, Hideo & Weber, Shlomo & Le Breton, Michel, 1997. "Free mobility equilibrium in a local public goods economy with congestion," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 19-30, April.
- Epple, Dennis & Filimon, Radu & Romer, Thomas, 1984. "Equilibrium among local jurisdictions: toward an integrated treatment of voting and residential choice," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 281-308, August.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416-416.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:epruwp:00-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.