Intellectual Property Rights and the Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship
We develop a model in which stronger protection of intellectual property rights has an inverted U-shaped effect on innovation. Intellectual property rights protection allows the incumbent firms to capture part of the rents of commercial exploration that would otherwise accrue to the entrepreneurs. Stronger patent protection will increase the incentive to do R+D and generate new knowledge. This has a positive impact on entrepreneurship and innovation. However, after some point, further strengthening patent protection will reduce the returns to entrepreneurship sufficiently to reduce overall economic growth.
|Date of creation:||11 Sep 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carl-Zeiss-Strasse 3, 07743 JENA|
Phone: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Fax: +049 3641/ 9 43000
Web page: http://www.jenecon.de
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting; Personnel Economics - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- O3 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2008-09-20 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2008-09-20 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2008-09-20 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2008-09-20 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2008-09-20 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-MIC-2008-09-20 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-TID-2008-09-20 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
- Zoltán J. Ács & Pontus Braunerhjelm & David B. Audretsch & Bo Carlsson, 2015.
"The knowledge spillover theory of entrepreneurship,"
Chapters,in: Global Entrepreneurship, Institutions and Incentives, chapter 7, pages 129-144
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Zoltan Acs & Pontus Braunerhjelm & David Audretsch & Bo Carlsson, 2009. "The knowledge spillover theory of entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 15-30, January.
- Zoltan Acs & David Audretsch & Erik Lehmann, 2013. "The knowledge spillover theory of entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 757-774, December.
- Zoltan J. Acs & David B. Audretsch & Pontus Braunerhjelm & Bo Carlsson, 2005. "The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-27, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Acs, Zoltán J & Audretsch, David B & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Carlsson, Bo, 2005. "The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship," CEPR Discussion Papers 5326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acs, Zoltan & Audrestch, David & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Carlsson, Bo, 2007. "The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 77, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Liang, Jiaochen & Goetz, Stephan, 2014. "The Role of Self-Employment in Mitigating Trade Shocks of Chinese Imports on U.S. County Labor Markets," 2014 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2014, Minneapolis, Minnesota 169709, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jiaochen Liang & Stephan Goetz, 2016. "Self-employment and trade shock mitigation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 45-56, January.
- Maximilian Palmié & Marco Zeschky & Stephan Winterhalter & Philipp Walter Sauter & Naomi Haefner & Oliver Gassmann, 2016. "Coordination mechanisms for international innovation in SMEs: effects on time-to-market and R&D task complexity as a moderator," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 273-294, February.
- Piera Centobelli & Roberto Cerchione & Emilio Esposito, 2017. "Knowledge Management in Startups: Systematic Literature Review and Future Research Agenda," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(3), pages 1-19, March.
- Elsa de Morais Sarmento & Alcina Nunes, 2011. "Criação de empresas em Portugal e Espanha: análise comparativa com base nos dados do Banco Mundial," GEE Papers 0036, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia, revised May 2011.
- M. Capasso & E. Cefis & K. Frenken, 2009. "Do some firms persistently outperform?," Working Papers 09-, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Marco Capasso & Elena Cefis & Koen Frenken, 2009. "Do Some Firms Persistently Outperform ?," LEM Papers Series 2009/15, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- M. Capasso & E. Cefis & K. Frenken, 2009. "Do some Firms Persistently Outperform?," Working Papers 09-28, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Jiaochen Liang & Stephan J. Goetz, 2016. "Self-employment and trade shock mitigation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 45-56, January.
- Franz, Peter, 2010. "Knowledge Spillovers as a Central Element in Theories about Knowledge-Based Regional Development: Advancement in Theory and Obstacles for Empirical Research," IWH Discussion Papers 5/2010, Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH).
- Yeganegi, Sepideh & Laplume, André O. & Dass, Parshotam & Huynh, Cam-Loi, 2016. "Where do spinouts come from? The role of technology relatedness and institutional context," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(5), pages 1103-1112.
- Zoltan Acs & Mark Sanders, 2011. "A Theory of Entrepreneurial Rents in Endogenous Growth: Implications for Regional Innovation Policies," Chapters,in: Endogenous Regional Development, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- P.H. van Dongen, 2011. "The Role and Contribution of Intellectual Property Rights in the Process of Spillover of Knowledge, Knowledge Valorization and Regional Economic Development," Chapters,in: Institutions and Regulation for Economic Growth?, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Saurav Pathak & Emanuel Xavier-Oliveira & André O. Laplume, 2016. "Technology use and availability in entrepreneurship: informal economy as moderator of institutions in emerging economies," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 506-529, June.
- Pathak, Saurav & Xavier-Oliveira, Emanuel & Laplume, André O., 2013. "Influence of intellectual property, foreign investment, and technological adoption on technology entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(10), pages 2090-2101.
- Gurrieri, Antonia Rosa, 2013. "Networking entrepreneurs," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 193-204.
- Marek Vokoun, 2016. "Innovation behaviour of firms in a small open economy: the case of the Czech manufacturing industry," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 43(1), pages 111-139, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jrp:jrpwrp:2008-069. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Pasche)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed