The Two-Sample Problem With Regression Errors: An Empirical Process Approach
We describe how to test the null hypothesis that errors from two parametrically specified regression models have the same distribution versus a general alternative. First we obtain the asymptotic properties of test-statistics derived from the difference between the two residual-based empirical distribution functions. Under the null distribution they are not asymptotically distribution free and, hence, a consistent bootstrap procedure is proposed to compute critical values. As an alternative, we describe how to perform the test with statistics based on martingale-transformed empirical processes, which are asymptotically distribution free. Some Monte Carlo experiments are performed to compare the behaviour of all statistics with moderate sample sizes.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Winfried Stute, 2002. "Model Checks for Generalized Linear Models," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 29(3), pages 535-545.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Testing Parametric Conditional Distributions of Dynamic Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 531-549, August.
- Koul, H. L. & Sen, P. K., 1985. "On a Kolmogorov-Smirnov type aligned test in linear regression," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 111-115, June.
- Bai, Jushan & Ng, Serena, 2001. "A consistent test for conditional symmetry in time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 225-258, July.
- Michael G. Akritas, 2001. "Non-parametric Estimation of the Residual Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 28(3), pages 549-567.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2005-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.