Do Poorer Countries Have Less Capacity for Redistribution?
The government of a rich country will be disinclined to give its aid to a country that has internal capacity to tackle poverty through redistribution from people at a similar standard of living to taxpayers in that rich country. Yet we do not have tools for measuring the capacity for redistribution that reflect this property. Indeed, past measures imply heavy tax burdens on people who would be considered poor in rich countries.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Publication status:||Published by UNDP - International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth , September 2009, pages 1-1|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ipc-undp.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kakwani, Nanak C, 1977. "Measurement of Poverty and Negative-Income Tax," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(29), pages 237-248, December.
- Standing Guy, 2008. "How Cash Transfers Promote the Case for Basic Income," Basic Income Studies, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-30, July.
- Amiel,Yoram & Cowell,Frank, 1999. "Thinking about Inequality," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521466967, September.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Mukherjee, Diganta, 2007.
"Poverty, relative to the ability to eradicate it: An index of poverty reduction failure,"
Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 52-57, October.
- Ravi Kanbur, 2006. "Poverty, Relative to the Ability to Eradicate It: An Index of Poverty Reduction Failure," Working Papers id:714, eSocialSciences.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Mukherjee, Diganta, 2007. "Poverty, Relative to the Ability to Eradicate It: An Index of Poverty Reduction Failure," Working Papers 126998, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Danziger, Sheldon & Gottschalk, Peter & Smolensky, Eugene, 1989. "How the Rich Have Fared, 1973-87," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 310-314, May.
- Herwig Immervoll, 2004. "Average and Marginal Effective Tax Rates Facing Workers in the EU: A Micro-Level Analysis of Levels, Distributions and Driving Factors," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 19, OECD Publishing.
- Marcelo Medeiros, 2006. "The Rich and the Poor: The Construction of an Affluence Line from the Poverty Line," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 78(1), pages 1-18, 08.
- Lant Pritchett, 2006. "Who is Not Poor? Dreaming of a World Truly Free of Poverty," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 21(1), pages 1-23.
- Beckerman, W, 1979. "The Impact of Income Maintenance Payments on Poverty in Britain, 1975," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(354), pages 261-279, June.
- Anand, Sudhir, 1977. "Aspects of Poverty in Malaysia," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(1), pages 1-16, March.
- Ariel Fiszbein & Norbert Schady & Francisco H.G. Ferreira & Margaret Grosh & Niall Keleher & Pedro Olinto & Emmanuel Skoufias, 2009. "Conditional Cash Transfers : Reducing Present and Future Poverty," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2597, September.
- Norman Gemmell & Oliver Morrissey, 2005. "Distribution and Poverty Impacts of Tax Structure Reform in Developing Countries: How Little We Know," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 23(2), pages 131-144, 03. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipc:opager:97. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andre Lyra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.