New evidence of heterogeneous bank interest rate pass-through in the euro area
We analyse the bank interest rate pass-through in the euro area for the period 1999:1 - 2009:11, relating market interest rates to bank retail rates of comparable maturities. We first estimate single equation error correction models for seven interest rate categories and ten euro area countries and find that the interest rate pass-through displays substantial heterogeneity especially in the short run, but also in the long run. We then apply the pooled mean group estimator (PMGE) advanced by Pesaran et al. (1999), allowing for country-specific interest rate pass-through in the short run, while constraining the long-run pass-through to be homogeneous across countries. We find significant evidence of substantial heterogeneity in the short-run passthrough. Finally, we conduct sub-sample analysis and conclude that the degree of heterogeneity and the overall efficiency of the interest rate pass-through have not improved in the second half of the existence of the European Monetary Union.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 211 7778 234
Fax: +49 211 7778 4234
Web page: http://www.imk-boeckler.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Christoffer Kok S�rensen & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2013.
"Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(11), pages 1359-1380, April.
- M. van leuvensteijn & C. Kok Sorensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," DNB Working Papers 171, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- van Leuvensteijn, Michiel & Kok, Christoffer & Bikker, Jacob A. & Van Rixtel, Adrian, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0885, European Central Bank.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & C. Kok Sorensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," CPB Discussion Paper 103, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- M. van Leuvensteijn & C. Kok SÃ¸rensen & J.A. Bikker & A.A.R.J.M. van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Working Papers 08-08, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Michiel van Leuvensteijn & Christoffer Kok Sørensen & Jacob A. Bikker & Adrian van Rixtel, 2008. "Impact of bank competition on the interest rate pass-through in the euro area," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0828, Banco de Espa�a.
- Sander Harald & Kleimeier Stefanie, 2003.
"Convergence in Eurozone retail banking? What interest rate pass-through tells us about monetary policy transmission, competition and integration,"
051, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Sander, Harald & Kleimeier, Stefanie, 2004. "Convergence in euro-zone retail banking? What interest rate pass-through tells us about monetary policy transmission, competition and integration," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 461-492, April.
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2005.
"Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data,"
2005:11, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2003.
"Financial Intermediaries and Markets,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
00-44, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Gabe J. de Bondt, 2005. "Interest Rate Pass-Through: Empirical Results for the Euro Area," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(1), pages 37-78, 02.
- Giuseppe Marotta, 2008.
"Structural breaks in the lending interest rate pass-through and the euro,"
Centro Studi di Banca e Finanza (CEFIN) (Center for Studies in Banking and Finance)
08031, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia "Marco Biagi".
- Marotta, Giuseppe, 2009. "Structural breaks in the lending interest rate pass-through and the euro," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 191-205, January.
- Claudia Kwapil & Johann Scharler, 2006. "Limited Pass-Through from Policy to Retail Interest Rates: Empirical Evidence and Macroeconomic Implications," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 4, pages 26–36.
- Stephen Rousseas, 1985. "A Markup Theory of Bank Loan Rates," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 8(1), pages 135-144, October.
- Kok, Christoffer & Werner, Thomas, 2006. "Bank interest rate pass-through in the euro area: a cross country comparison," Working Paper Series 0580, European Central Bank.
- Schwarzbauer, Wolfgang, 2006. "Financial Structure and its Impact on the Convergence of Interest Rate Pass-through in Europe. A Time-varying Interest Rate Pass-through Model," Economics Series 191, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald, 2006. "Expected versus unexpected monetary policy impulses and interest rate pass-through in euro-zone retail banking markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1839-1870, July.
- de Bondt, Gabe & Mojon, Benoît & Valla, Natacha, 2005. "Term structure and the sluggishness of retail bank interest rates in euro area countries," Working Paper Series 0518, European Central Bank.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imk:wpaper:12-2011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Nemitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.