Regret matching with finite memory
We consider the regret matching process with finite memory. For general games in normal form, it is shown that any recurrent class of the dynamics must be such that the action profiles that appear in it constitute a closed set under the “same or better reply” correspondence (CUSOBR set) that does not contain a smaller product set that is closed under “same or better replies,” i.e., a smaller PCUSOBR set. Two characterizations of the recurrent classes are offered. First, for the class of weakly acyclic games under better replies, each recurrent class is monomorphic and corresponds to each pure Nash equilibrium. Second, for a modified process with random sampling, if the sample size is sufficiently small with respect to the memory bound, the recurrent classes consist of action profiles that are minimal PCUSOBR sets. Our results are used in a robust example that shows that the limiting empirical distribution of play can be arbitrarily far from correlated equilibria for any large but finite choice of the memory bound.
|Date of creation:||04 Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Dynamic Games and Applications 2(1), March 2012: 160-175|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Veláquez 76, 28001 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.cienciassociales.imdea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergiu Hart & Andreu Mas-Colell, 1996.
"A simple adaptive procedure leading to correlated equilibrium,"
Economics Working Papers
200, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Dec 1996.
- Sergiu Hart & Andreu Mas-Colell, 2000. "A Simple Adaptive Procedure Leading to Correlated Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1127-1150, September.
- S. Hart & A. Mas-Collel, 2010. "A Simple Adaptive Procedure Leading to Correlated Equilibrium," Levine's Working Paper Archive 572, David K. Levine.
- Sergiu Hart & Andreu Mas-Colell, 1997. "A Simple Adaptive Procedure Leading to Correlated Equilibrium," Game Theory and Information 9703006, EconWPA, revised 24 Mar 1997.
- Sergiu Hart, 2004.
Discussion Paper Series
dp372, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Sergiu Hart, 2013. "Adaptive Heuristics," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Simple Adaptive Strategies From Regret-Matching to Uncoupled Dynamics, chapter 11, pages 253-287 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Sergiu Hart, 2005. "Adaptive Heuristics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(5), pages 1401-1430, 09.
- Rene Saran & Roberto Serrano, 2010.
"Ex-Post Regret Learning in Games with Fixed and Random Matching: The Case of Private Values,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
661465000000000083, David K. Levine.
- Rene Saran & Roberto Serrano, 2010. "Ex-Post Regret Learning in Games with Fixed and Random Matching: The Case of Private Values," Working Papers 2010-11, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Rene Saran & Roberto Serrano, 2010. "Ex-post regret learning in games with fixed and random matching: The case of private values," Working Papers 2010-11, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Josephson, Jens & Matros, Alexander, 2004.
"Stochastic imitation in finite games,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 244-259, November.
- Josephson, Jens & Matros, Alexander, 2000. "Stochastic Imitation in Finite Games," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 363, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 26 Nov 2002.
- Hurkens Sjaak, 1995. "Learning by Forgetful Players," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 304-329, November.
- Saran Rene & Serrano Roberto, 2010. "Ex-Post Regret Learning in Games with Fixed and Random Matching: The Case of Private Values," Research Memorandum 032, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Ritzberger, Klaus & Weibull, Jörgen W., 1993.
"Evolutionary Selection in Normal Form Games,"
Working Paper Series
383, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Drew Fudenberg & David K. Levine, 1996.
"Consistency and Cautious Fictitious Play,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
470, David K. Levine.
- Young, H Peyton, 1993. "The Evolution of Conventions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 57-84, January.
- Lehrer, Ehud & Solan, Eilon, 2009. "Approachability with bounded memory," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 995-1004, July.
- Andriy Zapechelnyuk, 2008. "Better-Reply Dynamics with Bounded Recall," Discussion Papers 2, Kyiv School of Economics, revised Mar 2008.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imd:wpaper:wp2010-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IMDEA RePEc Maintainer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.