Housing Markets and Vacant Land
The paper examines land use in an urban zone. We propose a partial equilibrium model of housing markets with both vacant and built up land. The existing literature assumes building decisions to be irreversible and treats any given stock of vacant land as an exhaustible resource. By way of contrast, we argue that vacant land is built upon in finite time rather than asymptotically, and reduces to a temporary phenomenon only. When housing stocks depreciate, previously built up land is released and may be rebuilt at any structural intensity dictated by the going market conditions. The continued replacement of existing structures allows to adjust the average structural intensity in the city even if all land is built upon. We explain analytically the long-run equilibrium with full land use and demonstrate numerically that vacant land may still be an important transitional phenomenon. In particular, we emphasize the implication for land prices.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Josefstädterstr. 39, A-1080 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:harver:1424 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lawrence H. Goulder, 1989. "Tax Policy, Housing Prices, and Housing Investment," NBER Working Papers 2814, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harvey S. Rosen, 1983.
"Housing Subsidies: Effects on Housing Decisions, Efficiency, and Equity,"
NBER Working Papers
1161, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosen, Harvey S., 1985. "Housing subsidies: Effects on housing decisions, efficiency, and equity," Handbook of Public Economics, in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 375-420 Elsevier.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1986.
"Vacant land and the role of government intervention,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 353-357, August.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1986. "Vacant land and the role of government intervention," Munich Reprints in Economics 19877, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Goulder, Lawrence H., 1989. "Tax policy, housing prices, and housing investment," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 281-304, May.
- Guillermo A. Galvo & Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Carlos Alfredo Rodriguez, 1978.
"The Incidence of a Tax on Pure Rent: A New Reason for an Old Answer,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
125, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Kotlikoff, Laurence J & Rodriguez, Carlos Alfredo, 1979. "The Incidence of a Tax on Pure Rent: A New (?) Reason for an Old Answer," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 869-74, August.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David N. Weil, 1988.
"The Baby Boom, The Baby Bust, and the Housing Market,"
NBER Working Papers
2794, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Weil, David N., 1989. "The baby boom, the baby bust, and the housing market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 235-258, May.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1977. "The Surprising Incidence of a Tax on Pure Rent: A New Answer to an Old Question," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 349-60, April.
- James M. Poterba, 1984. "Tax Subsidies to Owner-Occupied Housing: An Asset-Market Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 99(4), pages 729-752.
- Capozza, Dennis & Li, Yuming, 1994. "The Intensity and Timing of Investment: The Case of Land," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 889-904, September.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J. & Okuyama, Toshiyuki, 1994. "Taxes, housing, and capital accumulation in a two-sector growing economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 245-267, February.
- Firouz Gahvari, 1985. "Taxation of Housing, Capital Accumulation, and Welfare: a Study in Dynamic Tax Reform," Public Finance Review, , vol. 13(2), pages 132-160, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ihs:ihsesp:1. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.